Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      I.dont.know.
      Participant

I’m close to leaving however my name is on the mortgage which will affect the help I can get. My question is has anyone in a similar situation just taken their name off the mortgage and forgot about the money and started again from scratch??

KIP.
      Participant

You will need legal advice to take your name off the mortgage and his permission assuming he can afford the mortgage on his own. It’s important you get good legal advice. Most solicitors offer free half hour sessions or you can ring Right for Women for free advice. Depending on the equity it might be worth letting a solicitor and ultimately the court deal with it. I eventually bought my ex out but he caused problems from day one including (Detail removed by Moderator) get me to sell our home where my son still lived and it cost me and him a fortune. If you cannot live in your property because of domestic abuse then there may be ways around that with legal aid and benefits etc. Speak to the helpline on here x

dustypink
      Participant

Hi,
      Unfortunatelly you can’t just remove your name from the mortgage.
      I am in similar situation.
      My plan is to get injunction order for him and to sell the house. I will see solicitor soon, probably will know more details.
      You may call Civil Legal Aid, answer the questions abd they will tell if yiu qualify for the legal aid. They also will give you solicitirs contacts in your area who works with legal aid scheme.
      Local support groups may also organize for you legal advice.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content