Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      heartthread
      Participant

Hello everyone. I am new here. I left my husband a (detail removed by moderator) but I am still in the courts with him fighting for custody of my children. I thought it would end after I left but things got really hard. I was nearly homeless, pregnant, and with a toddler. I had no job and no money and was in a foreign country away from my family. I can gratefully say that things have improved greatly. I found a job, got an apartment, and i am supporting my two children without his help. The language is still a barrier at times and i have no support network. His family wants to be involved in my childrens’ lives but if they become involved, the abuse will only begin again. He was violent with me and my child, and while i was pregnant. I wish I could get complete custody of my children so he could never hurt any of us again.

backtome
      Participant

Just wanted to say WELL DONE for picking things up and carrying on going even though things got tough. Are there maybe any local Women’s Aid or Domestic Abuse services that can help you with some support? Speak to you local children’s centre? or your GP? x

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Wow Hearthread, what an incredibly tough time you have had and how inspiring that you then went onto find work and housing after being out of work and nearly homeless. It has definitely inspired me as I am currently looking for work and really want to be able to support myself.

I agree with Backtome, give the helpline a call and also ring your local DV service if you have one in your area. Also ask your GP for abuse services who can help so that you have a support network and are not alone. I agree with you to stick to your guns about no contact with his family, follow your gut and do what feels right for you and your children and don’t let them bully you. Remember to look after yourself as you have been through a huge amount, rest and self care helps a lot for us to keep up our strength to fight these abusers. Very well done and keep going and keep posting for support.

theatrefridays
      Participant

Well done for getting away from him. You are a warrior protecting your children, and yourself and you should feel super empowered by the strength you have shown against all odds – and its humbling to read. Keep posting and we will be your support through this troubled time.. you can get through it.

heartthread
      Participant

I find a lot of support being a part of this forum. When i finally realized i was in ama busive relationship, i began reading forums and googling things about it. I learned things about myself and why i was so confused, why i had the guilt, the fear, the brainwashing, and why i was still nice to someone who was violent, who had raped me, humiliated me…i still struggle at times. I really appreciate the support

Confused123
      Participant

good on u hun for finding strength to leave

lover of no contact
      Participant

Well done for what you have done. You will have saved your children alot of damage. I stayed and my children and I continued to suffer for 2 decades. You have saved yourself and your children from that. And stay strong and keep up a lot of self-care even though you are so busy.

And keep posting.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content