Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bettybird
      Participant

Hi all. This forum help me realise that I was in an abusive relationship for many many years. I just didnt know any different. I got out and all was well… until i had another abusive relationship which again I got out of. I have been free and safe for a couple of years and all is well and wonderful.. until I started having flashbacks, panic attack ( only had one the other day). Its effecting my relationship now and I am constantly thinking about the abuse. Its gone from being buried to raising its ugly head and I dont know why. I have stopped wanting to get physical with my chap and I dont know why. im difficult to live with im sure as im distracted and super sensitive to everything the poor chap does. Anyway here I am again…

Futurehappyness
      Participant

Bless you I have just realised that my long term relationship is abusive and its taken me soo long to realise because I had nothing to compare it too.

I have no advice as I’m still currently in the relationship but I’m slowly making plans and coming to terms with what’s happening and happened hope your okay xx

Serenity
      Participant

Hi There,

PTSD can rear its ugly head even years after an event.

You deserve to be free from the grip of it and to enjoy your life. Are you able to attend sessions with a counsellor who is trained in domestic violence support?

There are things out there to help with the symptoms – eye movement therapy ( EMDR), cognitive and dialectical behavioural thetapy, Distress Tolerance techniques ( see online), but nothing beats just telling and sharing it with those who understand abuse.

Are you able to contact your local Women’s Aid and see if there’s a local support group you could attend?

Xx

Bettybird
      Participant

Morning ladies…. good to hear from you … I’m going to see a counsellor so that might help…hope you have a lovely day x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content