Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      CosmosIdealology
      Participant

Hello I have found myself in a potential abusive relationship with my family.

They have been doing it for years it seems and I’ve oy just woken up to it now.

They take money off me and never give it back.
      They black mail me
      They use kids to manipulate me
      They phycologicalically play mind games
      They caused me to have a mental breakdown and now I’m back on medication

Is this abuse or am I imagining this?

KIP.
      Participant

It’s abuse. Do you have support? Can you talk to your GP? I’d slowly start to distance myself from them. I had emotional abuse for years and just didn’t see it. It was when I said no to them that I realised just how controlling they were. Have you had any therapy? It was a real help to me and a real eye opener. Not everyone lives by the same moral standard as me. That was also a hard lesson, that people who should care for you will actually deliberately harm you. Be kind to yourself and take baby steps. Build a support network away from them x

CosmosIdealology
      Participant

I have an exit plan and I know the relevant people I need to speak to and the only person I have told is my bf but I am so angry because I didn’t see it till now. I’m exhausted I didn’t get much sleep last night.

KIP.
      Participant

Yes it’s a real shock to the system so be very kind to yourself. None of us see it coming. It was only when I fled an abusive relationship and had therapy that I realised my family had been using the very same tactics. Don’t tell them your exit plan, play their game until you’re safe and self sufficient x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content