Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Newbeginnings1234
      Participant

I know it sounds selfish when there are so many people who have been affected by the coronavirus, but I’m absolutely devastated that we’re now being told to avoid non-essential travel. I haven’t seen my family since Christmas and I was really looking forward to going to see them soon, now it could be months before I see them again (even when things start to get better I won’t have any holiday left at work). I’m already so isolated, my family live hours away and I don’t have any friends. I’m even more isolated than I was before I left my Husband and now it will be even worse. I was finally getting to a point where I was starting to plan weekends away to different places on my own and I was starting to look forward to it, now I’m back to having nothing to look forward to. I wish I’d never left and I don’t know how much longer I can go on like this 😥

KIP.
      Participant

It’s not selfish. Can you FaceTime your family?

KIP.
      Participant

How about volunteering in the community?

Newbeginnings1234
      Participant

I Facetime my parents regularly, but my grandparents don’t know how to use it and some of them don’t even have internet, so I wouldn’t be able to talk to them. I already volunteer, but I’m expecting that to be cancelled soon as it’s in a public place. I’m also worried because if I catch the virus and have to self isolate, I don’t have anyone who could bring me anything and I couldn’t order anything online because supermarkets are selling out of everything. There’s so much focus on helping elderly people who live alone (as there should be), but nobody thinks about younger people who live alone and don’t have family or friends nearby.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Sorry you’re so low Newbeginnings, I feel similar in that I have no local friends really and my parents are older so I can’t visit them now anyway due to the risk of me having it already and passing it onto thrm. I was planning on getting out more this year being more involved to meet new people and start work. I’m v worried about not having human contact face to face for months. Surely it’s terrible for everyone’s mental health.
      What I’m doing is reaching out to people to arrange phone all’s and Skype. And to do online fitness classes and obviously still use forums. I imagine samaritans will get a lot of calls. There’s also telephone counselling. To be honest it’s a nightmare, basically like wartime, but we’re all in it together and we’ll pull through.
      You’re not alone. Reach out to whoever you can now like Facebook groups, community groups, here as well as your family. You can message me on here any time.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

There are already a lot of community groups being organised to help anyone who needs help during this coronavirus outbreak. I think most are on Facebook. If you search in Google they should come up, there was an article about them recently. If you need help getting groceries etc they can help you.

Newbeginnings1234
      Participant

Thank you, I’ll have to make do with just talking to my parents on Facetime. I wish I had friends I could call or text but everyone stopped talking to me months ago. I thought that maybe people might reach out to check I’m OK as they know I live on my own, but nobody has. I can’t really join any local Facebook groups as I can’t risk my Husband finding out where I live, but if I have to I’ll Google it and see if there are any people that could help me x

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Could you create an anon Facebook account with a different name? Then you could join the group for your area and ask for help. You wouldn’t have to meet anyone face to face of course. I understand your concern though.
      I think they mostly get people prescriptions, groceries and offer phone chats as a support. They leave the groceries outside your door. I’m not sure how payment works but if you joined one you could ask. The main group coordinating all the smaller groups is called Covid Mutual Aid.

Newbeginnings1234
        Participant

Thank you, I’ll keep that in mind in case I need it. I think if I was really desperate I would have to call my work and see if anyone could bring me what I needed, I don’t really know anyone there though so I don’t know if anyone would be willing to do it x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi there Newbeginnings, you are not being selfish at all. It is understandable that you are upset about not seeing your family. Again, it is understandable that you are concerned about feeling isolated. You are doing he right thing by trying to make sure that your husband doesn’t find out where you are. But do reach out for the support you need.

Take care

Lisa

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content