Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Confused123
      Participant

Am half way through my divorce but i always over think things way ahead , my decree nisi has been applied for and i was just thinking after divorce is complete did u all change your surnames again, i was just thinking how it would feel weird with my kids having surname and me a different surname, then i was thinking how over years i have been married i did so many qualifications in my marital name do i explain each time im divorced now and qualifications were gained while im married. Part of me thinks i applied for divorce and now im divorce why would i want to keep his surname and be identified to part of a abusive family, this is supposed to be the last hold he has over me , so why is it such a hard decison. What did u ladies do

Daisy
      Participant

I kept the same name exactly for the reasons you gave, to be the same as my children.
      X x x

White Rose
      Participant

This is my view:
      I’m keeping the name I’m known by, by my friends and my work colleagues, by my daughters friends and their parents and by her school, by my bank, the DVLA, my GP, the hospital, it’s the one that’s in my passport and the one my savings are in, and the one my email address is based on. It’s the same as my daughters. It’s MY name.
      Why should I change it?

mixed-up mum
      Participant

Mmmmmm difficult one indeed……

Ive not yet started thinking about a divorce, but I feel the same as you – I don’t belong to that family any more, none of them want to know me – so why should I want to remain being called by HIS name, as if I’m his ‘possession’ still – I don’t want to feel like I still belong to him – I feel like I want to erase all memory of him – BUT then I think I’m not sure I want to be called a different name to my kids indeed, and as you say it would mean changing who I am at the bank, the Docs, my driving licence etc makes things complicated…..

So what to do for the best……????

Red1
      Participant

I regretted changing mine when I married, wish I’d kept my own name- when I get that far I plan to leave it as it is on official things for simplicity but revert to maiden name informally whenever possible, like for example on Facebook xx

Falling Skys
      Participant

I will be changing mine, but it can effect your credit rating so I will wait till I have my mortgage.

In this day and age a lot of children have different surnames to their mothers.

Do what ever you feel comfortable with.

FS xx

Winterblues2
      Participant

I changed mine back, I personally felt that he didn’t deserve me achieving and thriving whilst carrying his name. It gave me another form of distance from him too.

My children still have his name but I am their mother regardless and as resident parent I feel that I have the benefit of more of their time whilst they still have the link to him in name.

Serenity
      Participant

He spat at me that he didn’t care if I kept his name or not.
      Well, I’m not being pushed either way. Whilst my kids are young, I would like the same name as them. Maybe when they are older, as will change it X

Ayanna
      Participant

I will change my name when I feel that it is safe to do so, for the simple reason that I do not want him to find me. And also, I hate his sirname. It constantly reminds me of him.

Confused123
      Participant

So not sure what to do, hassle wise it makes sense to remain same, but its like i m not part of that family, think will slowly change , let the decress nisi come first , on fb i already use my maiden name as i dont want them veiwing my profile which they prob check out anyway, but all other doc like passport, d licence, email , banks have my surname link in. his messed my credit rating so badly, i think that might be only positive

SaharaD
      Participant

My maiden name is very unique and my abusive husband’s name is very common. It took me a long time to actually like my maiden name and all of my qualifications are in my maiden name. So I decided on a double barreled name and if I had children with him, they would have had the same name as me, whatever his silly patriarchal ideas.

I have kept my name as I see myself going forward not backwards.

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

I don’t know when I’ll be lucky enough to finally get divorced from him, and I suppose it keeps the children happy for now while they’re younger, but I’d love to not have my ex’s name anymore. The trouble is I don’t want my maiden name either. I don’t want links to any of my abusers. One day I plan to make up a new name for myself, something empowering! X

Serenity
      Participant

PP: I always hated my maiden name. Maybe like you, I will think up something completely new x*x

Confused123
      Participant

i actually love my marital surname,lets just see what happens nearer to time

Falling Skys
      Participant

My married name is awful, I can remember my husband cousin telling him to change his name to mine as it was a lot better 😁 that didn’t go down well 😊

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content