Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Freeasabird
      Participant

I’m just looking for advice as I really don’t know what to do. I have been married for (detail removed by moderator) to a man who has been physically abusive in the past, now it is emotional abuse, and am looking into my options of where I can go when I leave him.
      We have a council property with my name on the tenancy but he will not move, and I do not want to stay there as I do not trust him, and also I would become depressed if I stayed there if I managed to get him out (have suffered from severe depression in the past, so know my triggers) as it would be full of memories, most of them bad.
      I have spoken to a women’s center and I think my only option will be a refuge, as I can’t stay with family members permanently.
      I have been in a refuge before, but this was years ago and myself and my partner at the time were just in a shared home, so had no property together, and even though my husband isn’t on the tenancy I know he has rights as a tenant as I’ve spoken to Shelter.
      I have no children, but have a cat who I am currently trying to rehome, but what can I do from here, do I just make calls to Women’s Aid etc?
      I am so confused and I can’t see any way out of my situation.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Dear Freeasabird,

Welcome to the forum I hope you find it a supportive place to be.

If you are thinking of going into refuge the national domestic violence helpline can help you with this. They can be called on 0808 2000 247 24 hours 7 days a week.

You mentioned you are in the process of rehoming your cat. you could also look into pet fostering. A pet fostering scheme fosters your pets temporarily while you go into refuge.

Take care and keep posting.

Best Wishes,

Lisa

pink rose
      Participant

If you live in the (detail removed by moderator) I would take care of your cat for you. I am a survivor too

Anonymous
      Inactive

I can only echo what Lisa has said, but i wanted to give you a hug, even if it is only virtual. Take a day at a time, speak to the national domestic helpline and keep coming on here. Talking about it can only help and i am sure that there will be others along later that can offer you a wealth of advice.

TTMO x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content