Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      chalk board
      Participant

I finally told my husband that I didn’t want to be with him anymore and he left…..which was great, just as I wanted it to happen. But now he keeps messaging me saying he is coming back….and that he has no money, no job and nowhere to live…..He is with his family, so he is not on the streets… should I get a restraning order or an injunction…the tennancy on the house is in both our names but all of the bills are in mine. I have teenage children living with me. please help as I am worried he is gonna just walk back in when I am not here and refuse to leave….It is making me ill.

backtome
      Participant

I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m definitely no expert, but the CAB has some advice on their web site.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/relationship-problems/relationship-breakdown-and-housing/if-you-live-with-your-partner-relationship-breakdown-and-housing/if-you-live-with-your-partner-and-you-rent-your-home-relationship-breakdown-and-housing/relationship-breakdown-and-housing-rights-if-you-rent-your-home-jointly-with-your-partner/

Unfortunately it looks as though your ex has as much rights to be in the property as you, but it does say you can apply to court for a temporary order:-

Occupation orders

A court can enforce or restrict some rights for a temporary period until a long-term arrangement has been agreed by you and your partner, or by the court if you can’t reach an agreement. An occupation order can, for example, specify who can live in your home or order a joint tenant to leave.

The court may be reluctant to make an occupation order unless there has been violence or where one person, or children living in the home, are likely to suffer harm without the court’s intervention.

Confused123
      Participant

Hi Hun

If u feel u and your children are at risk i would get a non mol issued staright away whilst his at family, the forms can be downloaded of thhe internet and then u hand in at court , some people say u can pay 100 and get done via some service, police will give u the no but some people have said it wasnt free and cost a bit more, i tried to get doen via solciitors but cost too much so somebody told me i could do on my own, get a friend to complete with u , its not complicatef to complete but support from someone helps. Call the help line they can guide u too, i know a lot of ladies are scared to call the police but u can call them for advice too, i never knew this and was so scared b4. def take action now hun to protect yourself and kids

Confused123
      Participant

Hi Hun

At same time apply for occupancy order, that way u and kids get to stay in house as u have kids to care for, like lady said b4 i think it is a 6 month order, but gives u time to clear your head and get support tio what the next steps are, and lastly i think the non mol costs 75.00 to submit into court, but double check the costs i am just giving u a guideline on what the fees were when i wanted to apply

Ayanna
      Participant

Non molestation order and occupation order for one year.
      If the occupation order lasts a full year the flat can be transferred to you only and he looses all his tenancy rights.

I recommend that you contact the NCDV. They help you with writing the statement and the court date.

chalk board
      Participant

thanks for all your help x

Goldengirl
      Participant

Just to let you know, occupation order and non molestation was free to file in court, in my case, because of domestic abuse.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content