Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Getusout
      Participant

Can any of you recommend a criminal / family lawyer who “goes for the jugular”, really fought your corner & took no prisoners?

Everyone I’m talking to is p***y-footing around and telling me that, basically, the abuse counts for nothing & me mentioning it is just being vindictive & will count against me.. (“he presents well. He is a professional and looks smart in a suit so all he has to say is “judge, I’m a changed man..” “) .

Whilst I’d like everything to be nice so we can coparent etc, we have never managed to do this ever. I have bought my daughter up single handedly for over (detail removed by moderator) years with only additional pressure (&heartache) from him.
      I can’t see any other way to get away from the cycle of bullying without going down a criminal proceedings route. He will be bullying her and he got the rest of our lives. And that is not okay. Not for her (especially not for her) & not for me.

maddog
      Participant

I was recommended a solicitor through my IDVA. My solicitor works with Women’s Aid. She knows well that abusers are dangerous people. It is well worth speaking to the domestic abuse team at your local police.

Lawyers will deal only with the law and in this respect can often seem really disappointing. It will really help your case by making your situation known to Women’s Aid, your child’s school, your gp, the police. Record everything. You have nothing to be ashamed of. You are simply letting other people know how you find your life.

Even for the (un)civil courts you will fare far better with as much evidence as you can muster. Both you and your child need supporting through this hellish time. You are so right that abusers don’t stop abusing. It is who and what they are.

fizzylem
      Participant

This is the risk we all run, that the profs we deal with simply wont acknowledge the abuse, because the law has been set up for those in parental disputes – so you automatically fall into this – its just a parental disagreement.

BUT, you can now request protection in fam court under controlling and coercive control – because this is relatively new – not many folk have heard of it.

Check out the CPS page on controlling and coercive behaviour and the Rights for Women page on coercive control – see if you think this is you. Do you have any evidence of the patterns in the abuse? What has been the effects on you?

Then read how coercive control can be acknowledged in family court and protections requested for you and your child in your proposal.

You need a WA support worker from your local DA charity.

You dont need a bull dog, I had a bull dog once, didnt help me at all, she got off on being in court at the centre of the drama. What you need here is some one with rationality, who understands controlling and coercive behaviour and the law.

Keep posting as there is lots to it x

diymum@1
      Participant

i would agree and i had three different lawyers until i was given someone who was really amazing – she told me frequently she thought abusive men having access (unsafe) was appauling. if i were to go back in time and find the right lawyer i would book at least 6 and id go to the free 20min consultation with each. id ask them what is your understanding of the dynamics of domestic abuse with regards to custody in the main. id imagine 1 in the six will be able to answer you appropriately xx you could also ask them are you willing to read around this to help me with my case. theres a lot of money to be made for them so they may be willing to pull out the stops. i think we make the mistake in giving the defense team the reigns but we cant afford to do that if they dont understand the dynamics of the situation so we have to instruct them – if theyre on the same page then bobs your uncle :)x*x love diymum

diymum@1
      Participant

i was wondering – not sure if the moderator can answer this would it be an idea to send lawyers the womens aid bills on safe child contact? i think womens aid and survivors are the only ones in a position to this apart from the government etc. i have posted the safe no sorry doc to my local contact centre a while back – wonder if anyone read it xx

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Check out Global ARRK org

The GlobalARRK mission

To prevent international custody disputes and reduce their devastating impact on children and parents ‘stuck’ in a foreign country by raising awareness and connecting parents to support services to meet their needs

Might be of interest to you

Getusout
        Participant

Thank you – I’ll take a look now x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content