Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohshesbloomin22
      Participant

Hi all,

I hope you’re safe and well.

I’m leaving with the kids. It’s taken me over a year to finally be ready to say that.

I’m ready, I’ve realised he’s never going to go so I need to escape. So I plan to go into a refuge and get an order for him to leave.

My question is I have a child who has autism, i don’t know how he will cope with being around other children. And sharing facilities.
      Has anyone ever fled with a child with autism? Any tips or advice?
      Do you think I should try going to my council instead of a refuge?

Any help would be very much appreciated:)

Many thanks x x x

longjourneylife
      Participant

First of all, well done on making the decision, which we all know is not an easy one to make.

Have you spoken to the refuge about your concerns? I’m sure they can advise, even setting the expectations for you as you’re the best person to know how your child will cope, you need support too. Council may take too long at this point and you want to occupy your on property so maybe chat to your child first ( once you’ve left and are safe to do so) so they know what’s coming and a rough idea of how long for?

Thinking of you, these early days are the hardest, but keep going, moment to moment x*x

Ohshesbloomin22
      Participant

Hey,
      Thank you for your response!

I haven’t managed to speak to a refuge yet as I want to get everything in place so I’m ready to go.

I plan to leave next week, so I’m going to contact a local domestic abuse company who help with rehousing. They said to contact them a few days before I want to leave.

My sons only recently been given a autism diagnosis.

Have you had to flee?

Thank you it’s taken a long time to get to this place. But I’m finally ready!

Xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content