Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Kitkat44
      Participant

So I’m trying to get a plan in place but my children are old enough to say “ no (detail removed by moderator)”
      Any advice as to how I can do this?
      Thank you in advance xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi Katkat44

If you don’t already have an IDVA or keyworker from your local DV charity?, now might be a good time to ask for one. They should be able to help you.

Ultimately, it’s going to depend on the ages and mindset of your children. You know them best.

My children were both young adults when I told them. I explained the reasons why I was going and why it was important not to let their Dad know in advance. They were very understanding and supportive.

The eldest chose to live with me, the youngest chose to split his time equally between the 2 of us.

The youngest was actually less vulnerable. He understood his father very well and was very good at ignoring his manipulations. The oldest had always been much more of a target for his Dad. They both made the choices that felt right for them.

Kitkat44
      Participant

Hi Eggshells
      Thank you, I do have an IDVA, and let her know this was troubling me, she didn’t really have an answer just confirmed that it’s a very tricky situation. I’d best raise it with her again, I haven’t had many conversations with her, she’s lovely and has explained she won’t tell me what to do just help put things in place to support me.
      Thank you for replying, hope all is good for you x

Watersprite
      Participant

Hi Kitkat – you absolutely can do this with older children. The safety of you all is what matters. Plan with your IDVA they can’t tell you what will happen because nobody knows but once you are out you can manage whatever you need to even though it’s hard. I can’t say too much detail 2 of my kids were desperate to leave one didn’t know anything I asked them to come with me and give it a few days so their dad could calm down from us fleeing and then we could talk about safe contact. That happened and since with police and court orders we are free. None of them see their dad. Sometimes older children choose differently BUT your safety matters. Keep moving forwards PM if you want x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content