Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • #131182

      Hi ladies,

      Hope you’re all well. I left my ex (detail removed by moderator) and also has to leave my home with our young child. I pwned this home so can not get anywhere else due to the mortgage but he has changed the locks and I am getting desperate for my possessions but he has changed the locks and I am a little bit afraid seeing him. I asked his mum when I could go to get the stuff, very politely she said (detail removed by moderator) (which I can’t and won’t do), he then reported me to the police (detail removed by moderator) (he is currently under police investigation). I wasn’t trying to contact him, he has been getting his mum to make me try contact him for months, I was simply asking his mum when I could get my stuff. Anyway my main question is, can i take any legal action against him changing the locks and what would the outcome be of this? If anyone has any experience of this. He is making it very difficult to sell the house and I have no idea what to do anymore. I have no where to turn. I am getting legal aid for a child matter, can I get it for this as well?

    • #131183

      Talk to your solicitor. It’s your home and he has no right to stay there. There may be a legal process. Like giving him notice to leave but I think changing locks on your home sounds illegal. Reporting you to the police is malicious so use a solicitor for contact.

    • #131186

      This is complicated. I had the same issue.

      If your name is on the deeds/mortgage, then I think you can legally instruct a locksmith to change the locks so that you can gain entry. Check with your solicitor or citizens advice first.

      If you try to break in or force entry and you know he is inside, he could call the police and they could arrest you, especially if he claims you are abusing him (which is quite commo with these men).

      Your safest bet is an occupation order – he would be forced to leave the house.

      As KIP said, talk to your solicitor. Find out if you can get legal aid for this. If he’s making it hard for you to sell the house then the courts can force him to sell (if the house is partly his). If it’s not his at all, it might be worth finding out how you deal with squatters.

      I think your best bet is to try and force him out with an occupation order. That puts you back in the house and back in control of the sale.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs


Log in with your credentials


Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content