• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by KIP..
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      keepswimming
      Participant

Hello everyone

I’ve posted previously about leaving a long term abusive relationship. I left recently and have moved out to get back on my feet.

I’ve insisted on no contact, but he has come to the address once and has texted me a few times. We have some shared responsibilities such as the mortgage and I’ve only contacted him to tell him I will continue to meet my half of everything until we can put the house up for sale.

Now he has been in touch to ask if we could meet. Even seeing his picture on the message made me feel sick with fear. The thought of dealing with him makes me terrified, even over the phone. I know if I decline he will become abusive and may escalate and turn up at my new address. He has given no indication as to what he wants to discuss, other than he has been quiet to allow me the space I need but wants to discuss our situation.

I don’t know how to deal with this. People close to me have given advice on what I should do, but they dont fully understand how vulnerable and scared I am.

I know I don’t want to meet or speak over the phone. Messaging would be best because it gives me more control. I don’t know how to respond to him. Please help.

KIP.
      Participant

Trust your gut. Is there a third party that can communicate for you regarding the shared responsibilities? The best thing is to go zero direct contact and report any direct contact from him to the police. Also, see a solicitor regarding separation and your liabilities to the mortgage as no doubt he will use this to try and control you. I know it’s scary to tell him not to contact you yet he ignores your request, but in the end it’s what you will need to do to prevent further abuse and damage. Don’t be frightened to involve the police. Sadly it’s often the case that we need them to help keep us safe. Speak to your local women’s aid too x

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content