Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

You are not a rehabilitation center for abusive men. It’s not your job to fix him, change him, parent or raise him. You want a partner not a project.

ISOPeace
      Participant

So true. The project is doomed to failure anyway as the person you’re trying to help is sabotaging it every step of the way. xxxx

nbumblebee
      Participant

This is me. I want to make him see I want to help him change. I want to change myself so he stops hurting me. I dont want to I cant leave as I dont want to give up on our marriage.

KIP.
        Participant

It takes two to make a marriage work. Abusers aren’t interested. Their idea of a successful marriage is you being completely broken and destroyed and him thriving off your misery. The first time he abused you he gave you permission to walk away x

nbumblebee
        Participant

Its the believing that you can walk away the believing that you should walk away that you deserve to walk away and the trust in yourself to do so that I dont have. X

gettingtired
        Participant

Nor do I nbumblebee xx

Twisted Sister
        Participant

I don’t think it all happens in one go nbumblebee and gettingtired. It can take time, it can take years, and there are many women who never leave and spend their life trying to make everything ok so they won’t be hurt. I wish it would work, but it doesn’t and you end up twisting yourself inside out so much that you forget who you are anymore, which I can tell you, is an awful place to be.

it becomes your normal life, and thats hard to break from because its what you’ve become practised at living with, your way of living.

One day you may feel able, and it surprising the strength to do it that then appears. Your brain works away at it, until you suddenly realise theres a way, or one shove too many, a word, or an action that suddenly makes a lightbulb go off for you, that moment when it becomes clear. In the meantime, be safe and prioritise yourself as much as you can.

warmest wishes

ts

Weemebreeze
      Participant

So true!! ❤️

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content