Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

So, last year I managed to get in touch with a local organisation that was able to give me some therapy. As I mentioned in another post, the local Women’s Aid branch was unwilling to support me so I looked elsewhere. The therapy was good, but because it was run by a charity you only had a limited number of sessions.

In (detail removed by Moderator), things were coming to an end but my therapist, who knew I didn’t have anyone else to talk to signposted me to a program run by the org that could provide aftercare in the form of peer support, workshops etc. She didn’t think that the end of therapy meant end of support.

I found out today that the org has been nothing short of neglectful. I made contact with the person running this project in (detail removed by Moderator). But she essentially refused to refer me to anything and then stopped contacting me outright over a month ago. Between (detail removed by Moderator), I got short of nothing from her. I had assumed that the program had been shut down due to a lack of funding as another local organisation running something similar experienced this issue due to the pandemic.

Found out today it’s actually been running this entire time while I’ve been struggling and feeling worse because my attempts to reach out to other support ended poorly. But this contact just…Never mentioned or never referred me to anything when I had asked.

The worst thing is, the org itself never told me. I contacted them after one of the other places I spoke to suggested I get back in touch to find out what had happened in regards to the program. Just to give me closure about it.

Honestly, whole situation is having me consider never opening up to anyone ever again. Been let down for what feels like the last time. People have just let me down far too many times over the past few years in regards to what happened to me.

I feel like I’m done with talking to other people about this and that although I’ve spent a long time trying to find the right support, it’s better if I stop. Because nobody cares.

Mellow
      Blocked

I’ve never found any kind of therapy helpful the worse experience I had was one a therapist told me what I was thinking was all in my head never went back.my g.p offered me some but it didn’t last

gettingtired
      Participant

I’m so sorry this has happened to you. I’ve also had terrible experiences with a local DA service. They would take weeks to get back to me, wouldn’t sign me up for their peer support group because I said I couldn’t 100% definitely attend every weekly session because of work days changing and still being in the relationship (surely they’d understand this?). Instead I was told I couldn’t join because of these reasons. I think they even said about one group I could join but they never got in touch with me so at that point I was pretty much through with them. I rang the support worker one day in a crisis as I had an opportunity to leave but was so upset and couldn’t go through with it. She made me feel like I was a silly teenager being upset over ending things with my boyfriend, it was so unhelpful and upsetting.
      I felt so alone so I understand how hurt you are feeling. Please realise that people do care (us on the forum!!). I know you want that one to one support though, is private therapy something you could consider? Some therapists offer reduced rates for people on low incomes etc xx

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Carmilla,

I am sorry to read of your experience and how let down you feel. Also your negative experiences Mellow and gettingtired. This is not what we would expect from services.

Keep Posting, there’s always valuable peer support here.

Lisa

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content