Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      beachhut
      Participant

Can anyone help and suggest anything I can do to stop being so lonely, I have been out for a while, and know I have made some bad decisions, but I feel isolated and really don’t know what to do. I know that the restrictions aren’t helping, and I have lots of things to do around the house, but it is still, lonely, being by yourself. Any help much appreciated. beachhut

sweet4
      Participant

Hi Beachhut
      You are not alone.
      As of yesterday i started going for long walks, and saying Good Morning to people.
      It made me feel just that little bit better.
      There will be plenty of ladies on here, that will come along soon, with wise words
      Your on the right forum. Keep posting.xx

Darcy
      Participant

Good morning my beautiful angel … beachhut,
      I’m sorry to hear you are feeling lonely, it hits all of us at sometime.
      Loneliness is a symptom of being disconnected from ourselves.
      We often look for external sources to make us happy and feel connected, but all of this can be taken away at anytime (lockdown is a great example of this) so the only one true thing we can ever be connected to is ourselves
      Have you tried some yoga or meditation … I know everyone says it helps but in reality its not that easy to get started.
      However maybe just sit quietly for a while, tune in to how you are really feeling, what do you really need… maybe a hug… then give yourself one. Its just starting with the little things and building from their.
      I always recommend the book You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. If you have audible why don’t you download it today and listen to it while you go for a walk or sit with the sun on your face.
      We do have to go through these stages of loneliness, grief, anger etc. to get to where we are going, so acknowledge them, thank them for showing up and then release them.
      Also it is a full moon, which whether you follow or believe in the phases of the moon or not it is known for heightening our senses and emotions, so just go with it.
      Trust me, by connecting with yourself you will begin to feel less lonely.
      And of course you have have us, keep posting… we are here to support each other.
      Sending you love and support
      Darcy xx

Bettertimesahead
      Participant

I really struggled with this early on. I started doing online free competitions,surveys, brain training apps. Just as a distraction initially but do enjoy it. Also joined an online local book club which has been great at getting me reading and interacting with people. Like the idea of a walk and saying hello to people. Maybe treat yourself to a takeaway coffee and strike up a conversation with the staff. Little interactions can make a big difference

Eggshells
      Participant

Getting out of the house can really help. There are loads of people out in this nice weather and they’re all in good spirits so very responsive to a smile and a hello.

Do you have a pet. Just having another living breathing furry friend in the house is evidenced to make a difference.

We’ll all be out of lockdown soon. I’m not sure what I’m expecting will come from that but hopefully it will provide opportunities.

Loneliness is awful. Perhaps call your GP. Lonliness is known to contribute to health problems so they may be able to suggest some ideas for meeting people. xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Beachhut

I struggle with this a bit too and lockdown does not help. I’ve applied for some voluntary work but granted that doesn’t help during lockdown but I think it will help me meet people once it’s over.

Until then to ease loneliness, I’ve been trying to have a daily routine, having little chunks of time with specific activities is helping me get through the days stuck isolated.
      I found online fitness videos/classes/livestreams helpful it’s not real interaction but it boosts my emotions and the day feels more manageable.
      Then like others have said I do something for the soul and for the brain (faith and self help kinda stuff – which not only distracts me but helps me). I also find meditation helpful here too 🙂
      I think it’s so true that connecting with self makes such a difference 🙂

Being outside is definitely good too, connecting with nature and saying hello to people makes a difference.

I’ve enquired about the freedom programme to help with some interaction, but if you’ve been out for a while that might not be relevant. There might be other online courses or hobby type groups in areas you enjoy?

Take care and best wishes xx

Celeanor
      Participant

Hey, I’m new here and have also come onto this feeling extremely lonely.
      I hope your walk helped you, I’ve found it’s one thing that has helped me lately, especially when the weather has started getting better.
      Loneliness is such a horrible feeling, this lockdown sure does not help at all, I think a lot of us on women’s aid will be glad when we can have a bit of freedom back to keep us distracted.
      My private messages are always open if you fancy a chat anytime. Take care x

BraveStrongSmart
      Participant

Hey, it’s been a while since I’ve been out of my relationship and I found going for walks and listening to music helped me feel less lonely.

Loneliness is such a horrible feeling, and I agree with Celeanor. But hopefully Lockdown should ease and give us a bit more freedom.

My private message is always open if you need a quick chat 🙂

Sending love and hugs💕

Watersprite
      Participant

You are not alone -lots of understanding and feel the same here x But I still remember the agonising loneliness of being with him when he was abusive – easier to remember those good bits but they weren’t real just mind games. Better times ahead beachhut x

Scottish Thistle
      Participant

I struggled at the start of first lockdown and ended up getting signed off my day job for a month (stress was all work related) as my usual coping mechanisms were no longer there – my evening job (furloughed) and the gym and sauna I attend all closed. While I was off I walked, walked and walked and even did a fair few cycle runs just myself but was so nice just to get out – bonus I lost some weight, had attention from a few males (although a confidence boost I didn’t take further as not interested at the moment) out walking I’d see regulars we’d swap pleasantries and I had a neighbour who’s never spoken to me started saying hi, so did her husband. At the moment I’m content in my own wee space, second lockdown has been easier got myself into a better routine with working from home. I would love to join some clubs to meet others, which isn’t possible at the moment but I’m working on my confidence for when we are able too.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content