Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Suntree
      Participant

Wow. I have the TV on the back ground and the Jeremy Kyle show because I hadn’t changed over. I have now.
      I would think that main stream media would have some moral standards. This show obviously doesn’t.
      Kyle’s comment has just shocked me.

In the introduction he asks the bloke if the woman had reported the bloke to the police for date rape. The bloke says “yes”.
      Jeremy Kyle asks “where you charged?” The bloke says “No” and then without missing a beat Kyle states strongly “you were falsely accused then.”

I’m in shock. Having been on the end of abuse and the police telling me there was not enough damage or witnesses to charge my abuser that time, it doesn’t make it not happened.
      It doesn’t mean I made a false allegation.
      It does not mean it didn’t happen.
      It just meant that there was not enough for the crown prosecution to bring a case on his word against my word.

But it seems that main stream media still believe that unless there is a conviction through a court of law then the person who reports assault is making it up and are then basically bullying the person who did report the abuse/rape etc.

Why does society do this?

If I was speeding, but didn’t get a ticket it is still accept that I was speeding but just didn’t get caught. Why do we not except that people can rape, abuse etc another without being convinced through a court of law?

They wonder why a lot of us don’t report.

KIP.
      Participant

It’s another form of victim blaming. My ex was actually convicted of assault and carries on like nothing’s happened. Why would you even mention to the producer that you had been accused of such a crime. It’s like they have no shame. Can you imagine how that girl feels seeing her rapist on the tv. Can you imagine the triggers and anxiety that would cause. You’re right about why we don’t report it. I did report my ex for rape but there wasn’t enough supporting evidence. He actually wrote via his solicitor to me saying he didn’t rape me hundreds of time and was only actually questioned by the police about 3! As if that makes it ok. He actually brought this up in letters. I would have been so ashamed I would never have mentioned this. They just don’t have any morality of empathy. True psychopaths x

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

I agree Suntree, I think it’s all part of the patriarchal society to try to keep control over women. Whenever a conviction is not made it’s always assumed the accuser lied, when it could mean any number of things, such as not enough evidence, a rubbish jury, police making mistakes, a particularly manipulative abuser, a very skilled defense lawyer etc

It is wrong and needs to change, I’m not sure how we can change it but I totally agree with you! Perhaps you could make a complaint to the Jeremy Kyle show? We need to get our voices out there.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content