Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      lilbird
      Participant

Hi.
      Please help. I’ve run up £7000 in credit card debt. Paying for stuff for my current partner, paying for stuff to try and make my son happy. I live with my mum so shouldn’t have these debts. I haven’t told anyone and I’m scared. Can’t afford minimum payments this month and the credit card companies are ringing me. Have no money for the weekend and my son wants to take his girlfriend out for valentines meal. What can I do?

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi lilbird, get in touch with cab or your local money matters. They can help you work this out. The amount is overwhelming at the moment, don’t bury your head in the sand. I owed 4x that amount, it took me a while to trust someone enough to help me, as my oh refused to take responsibility for it. It was my debt(it was joint, actually, for a business we had ) but I’ve managed after a few years to get it under control.
      As for your son, he has to realise as do you that you cannot continually give him money. It’s guilt that makes us do that. If he’s old enough to have a GF ,he’s old enough to understand about money and that it doesn’t grow on trees and that your pockets aren’t never ending. can he not make a nice meal at home for her instead. Let the credit companies know you’re going to CAB, do not get into any repayments with them as yet. Good luck, once you are in control of this you’ll get some breathing space. I took nearly a year before I was brave enough to contact someone, it was the best thing I did. They’ll take into account your income and outgoings, work out an amount you can afford to pay, and sign up for are a DAS scheme or something similar.
      Best wishes IWMB 💕💕

Escapedbuthaunted
      Participant

As IWMB has said u need to seek advice ASAP. I’d suggest contact the c/c co direct say you can’t afford current repayments but could afford x and see if they’ll lower them to give u breathing space. U could always try your bank and get it out onto a personal loan.
      If u generally have a good credit testing I.e no missed payments u could look to put it all onto a new card that has 0% interest for x months which would give u lower monthly payments
      There are options out there but u do need to ask

fizzylem
      Participant

Hey Lilbird, can relate. Stop and breath. It feels out of control and frightening, so the way to change this it to take control. Echo above, go and see cits advice or call one of the debt helplines. If you cant pay then they cant have can they. With help you can arrange to get the interest frozen and make payments you can afford.

It also sounds like you are really struggling to say no, I/we can’t afford it too, that you’re feeling responsible for the happiness of others or trying to compensate for something – so you’re trying to make them happy or fix things by using the cards – this also needs to change hey. FL.x

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hey Lilbird

Do reach out,there is massive help out there for debt matters now, and a lot can be done to reschedule your debts. The credit card company will want their money, so they will agree to reasonable payments rather than costly court etc.

Act quickly. You have been really brave to post and ask for help love.

I hope you get help soon x

Warmest wishes ts

lilbird
      Participant

Hi all.
      Thank you so much for your quick replies, all of a sudden I don’t feel alone. As some of you are aware I have a very limited income but the situation I’m in I should be able to save a bit but No! Time I pay towards living here and contributing to my partners place and I seem to be running his car and my own and funding my teenage son and his girlfriend I suddenly find myself in this mess which has obviously been brewing for months but all of a sudden it catches up with you. I can kind of relate to Sam in the recent Cleaning Up programme on ITV at her worse – one thing after another! It’s 1.30am and I’ve been in bed for 2 and a half hours working out a budget for the next month. Will get onto a debt advice agency tomorrow morning x

well done lovely you are facimg it

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content