Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Lazarus17
      Participant

I am very conscious of talking about my ex with family/friends. My ex used to tell me that I was boring – I may well be now if he’s the topic of conversation! I just don’t want people to think “Oh, here we go again, yawwwwn” if I mention his name. I’ve told them to let me know if I’m being boring, but I think they’re too polite?!

But I really hate it when an acquaintance/neighbour/”friend”) comes over to say hello and then says “you’ll never guess who I saw” or “I saw your ex the other day” (usually referring to him by name) and then tell me about the conversation they’ve had!šŸ¤Ø I mean, I need to know he’s not in my area (restraining order), but I don’t give a rat’s behind about anything else. He has been tried and convicted of offences against me ffs!
      Imagine going to a victim of burglary and saying “I saw your thief the other day, he’s keeping well” or a victim of rape and saying “your rapist’s lost a few pounds, hasn’t he?!” I even had one “friend” phone to ask me about prison visiting times (ex was on remand) GrrrrršŸ˜” I think I’m probably angry at myself too for not telling them….šŸ˜•

Rant over šŸ˜

KIP.
      Participant

Hey I know exactly how you feel. Your confidence seems to be returning so Iā€™d try saying ā€˜Iā€™d really appreciate if you didnā€™t mention my ex, unless itā€™s life threatening to me as itā€™s still triggering/raw/a part of my life Iā€™d like to forget. I used to talk about my ex all the time, even to the point of a stranger behind the till in the supermarket. Itā€™s all part of trauma. We internalise and say nothing or we canā€™t shut up. It made me feel somehow safer telling people so be very kind to yourself. My family and friends really stepped up donā€™t mention him and it really helps recovery x I too had the courts and restraining orders etc. That alone is traumatic. Well done you and nice to see you have your sense of humour. Every survivor Iā€™ve come across has a great one. Itā€™s what sometimes gets us through! Good riddance to bad rubbish x

Lazarus17
      Participant

Thanks KIP. I guess that he was a substantial part of my life, so it’s only natural that he’ll be part of conversations. It’s interesting that I view past events quite differently- even the good times, cos I can now see the horrible stuff I went thru to get those good times. How sad.

Haha, yes, I’ve made “friends” with a few of the cashiers at my supermarket through telling all!! Whether they wanted to hear it or not šŸ¤£ Like you it made me feel safer – I wanted (still do) people to be aware of my presence. Just so that if anything happened, my absence would be noticed šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Of course he’s spreading lies about me, but I know that those who believe him can just **** off. I used to care what other’s thought of me – I still do to a certain extent, but only those closest to me. And if I’m good enough for them, that’s all that matters šŸ˜Š

Yep, good riddance to bad rubbish!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ā© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England ā€“ Womenā€™s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Womenā€™s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions ā”‚ Privacy & cookie policy ā”‚ Site map ā”‚ Protect yourself onlineā”‚ MediaĀ ā”‚Ā Jobs ā”‚ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content