Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Copperflame
      Participant

I was watching a programme on TV last night. The programme contained graphic scenes of violence which distressed me anyway, but then showed scenes of a woman being kicked and punched by a man. At this point I couldn’t bear it any more and changed channels. I’m not going to name the programme or TV channel on here, but I’ve made a complaint in the strongest possible terms – not only about the graphic violence (which was horrible enough in itself), but about the vicious assault on the woman and the cultural messages this gives to abusive men. This programme was aired only just after the watershed and could easily have been seen by young teenagers or older children.

Anyway I quoted some domestic violence statistics, wrote about how deeply rooted societal attitudes, values and beliefs foster disrespect towards women, and how cultural support for male aggression towards women is reinforced by the media. I’m now in the process of writing to my MP and the Prime Minister about it, such is my strength of feeling.

Needless to say I’m fuming.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Well done Copperflame it is excellent that you complained, I totally agree about programmes like this. Most tv really depresses me as it’s either about women getting brutally murdered by men which is apparently entertainment in the name is ‘crime fiction’ or it’s really shallow with lots of fake plastic people leading fake plastic lives. I have been complaining a lot too after leaving my ex, I think we can see everything so clearly after experiencing abuse and see all these issues in society that we want to speak up about. I was thinking of complaining to my local shop about how they have all these tacky newspapers on show with scantily clad women in sexually suggestive poses sprawled over the front covers, in plain view for all the local school kids to see. It teaches them to objectify and sexualise women. The trouble if we do complain about things like this society punishes us by labelling us jealous/old/prudish. A clever way to maintain the status quo of course.

I hope your complaints get taken on board, it’s great that you are involving your local MP too. 🙂

On a plus note I did see the most wonderful tv programme this week, not sure if I can name it here but it was about the elderly and it was so heart warming it gave me hope in humanity. xx

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content