Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Thesoundofrain
      Participant

Hi

My thoughts are in chunks – I’m absolutely trying my best to get my act together to leave and find a refuge – I have many concerns but one is once I’ve gone and he realises I’m not coming back is he legally allowed to change the locks ? He is a man that cannot and will not be ‘shamed’ ? His house his castle , you walk out that door your the bad guy , …. we are married we have had an extreme long convoluted relationship much longer than the marriage itself – he never wanted my name on anything – however I may need access to the house once I leave – I thought I’d ask on here see if anyone has been in same situation before I start searching for legal advice .

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Why do you have to leave Thesoundofrain? Can you not report him and get a residency order (I think its called). You will make yourself homeless, when he’s abusing you? He should face charges for this.

I hate to say it, but I would assume he would change the locks once you leave, and if he shows police his name on documents they will probably agree that you have no right of access, even though marriage probably does, when done in family court mean you would have the property divided properly upon divorce. I guess you would plan to divorce after you’ve left?

You need legal advice, and ifyou cannot find/afford/get legalaid, call rights of women and ask their advice on your position in this before you make any permanent steps, unles syou are in immediate danger, then you just have to go and work it out after, which you’ll get support to do when in refuge with a key worker.

warmest wishes ts

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content