Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bananaboat
      Participant

I received a call from local MASH team saying my details had been passed to them by the police after a recent incident. Is this social services? What should I expect? The caller was very pleasant but didn’t really explain their role, other than to say they are there to support the kids and me. I’m worried now, can anyone offer any guidance?

KIP.
      Participant

A MASH team comprises of a group of practitioners, still employed by their individual agencies (local authority, police, probation, health services, etc) but co-located in one office. It operates on the basis of a ‘sealed’ intelligence hub, with clear information sharing protocols giving partners the confidence and trust to engage fully in effective multi-agency working. By combining the information held by the full range of agencies working with a child or family, the MASH process allows practitioners to build up a fuller picture of an individual child’s circumstances and history before deciding the most appropriate course of action to keep them safe.
      Notifications to the MASH are considered by a social work manager who makes an initial judgment as to the level of risk to the child and categorises the referral as red, amber or green. This determines the timescale for a decision to be made, ranging from a few hours (four hours in urgent cases) to a few days. Information is shared securely within the hub and is gathered from practitioners such as teachers, GPs, health visitors, school nurses or police officers, who are contacted by their professional lead from within the hub. Once this information has been gathered together, a social work manager makes a decision as to what further action is required.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, there’s plenty more on the internet if you google it. I think it’s definitely a positive thing for you and it gives you a chance to get help for you and your children should you need it. Just always be open and be seen to be putting the interest of your children first x

KIP.
      Participant

Contact your local women’s aid who can offer support and advice x and there’s always the national domestic abuse helpline if you want to talk to someone more fully x

Bananaboat
      Participant

Thank you, I tried to google but got a bit lost so will try again. Is this normal or standard practice? I’m new to all this and a bit scared about what it might all mean and life is confusing enough at the mo. They said they’ll be in touch within 5 working days so I’ll have chance to ask more then I guess

KIP.
      Participant

It’s pretty normal where kids are involved. They will just want to make sure you’re all safe. I don’t know if you’re still with your abuser or not but that will impact on how involved they become. It’s really safeguarding you and the kids x I’d definitely contact women’s aid or ring the national domestic abuse helpline and talk about it. It would be good to have someone there to support you and women’s aid are great. Or victim support are there too. Please try not to worry. These agencies are there to help you x

Watersprite
      Participant

Hi Kip has given you great info. I just wanted to add having had previous involvement from MASH a few times it was scary and serious and ended up with agencies involved – however now some time later I can’t thank them enough my kids are safe I’m safe and we are making good lives. They are there to help you and your kids they will signpost you to agencies that will help you and will take the necessary steps to ensure you are all safe. There is hope ahead but it takes time and is a journey – take baby steps and lean on the support you are offered. It’s normal to feel worried and abuse makes us so scared but this may just be the start of a brighter future for you all. Stay safe x

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content