Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      gettingtired
      Participant

Apologies to the moderator if this post isn’t allowed on the forum.

I realise this is very personal and that people’s experiences will be different but I’ve recently been prescribed an anti-depressant after reporting the abuse and my anxiety to my GP.
      The problem is I don’t necessarily feel depressed, it was the physical symptoms I experience from my anxiety that I’ve been struggling with intermittently. I’m now feeling very nauseous from side effects of this medication.
      I wasn’t able to discuss anything with the GP so didn’t know what I was being prescribed until I collected it from the pharmacy (weird, I know).
      Now I don’t know what to do.. I’m due to be starting counselling soon so really hoping that will help me untangle myself from the relationship.
      I just don’t know what to do regarding taking medication or not and as usual feel incapable of making my own decisions.

Jellybaby
      Participant

Hi

I’m not a dr. I know for me I feel low and anxious and it’s because of the situation I am in. Leaving the relationship feels to scary. But I do think if the medication is making you feel ill and not sure if it’s right for you, you should go back to your GP. From experience some GP are good dealing with mental and other just want to prescribe you something and send you away. If this is the case ask to see a different GP. I could completely relate to what you are saying and wish you all the best.

ladiesand gentlemen
      Participant

Jellybaby is absolutely right, I was put on antidepressants just 1 year after being with my partner !! and have subsequently over the years had (removed by moderator) major medical conditions, which now on reflection and a chat with a consultant, have ALL been brought on by the unbearable amount of stress the relationship put onto me.
      Have a look online it has been proven that mental anguish can bring on and worsen physical and mental conditions !!!
      PLEASE don’t let this happen to you, my life, body and mental state has been destroyed by one man and how the relationship has gone. It has taken me over (removed by moderator) years(so far) to get some of ME back.
      Try another GP,maybe a female ?
      Best of luck
      take care xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi GT,

I’d recommend that you ring your GP and explain that you are having side effects.

Some antidepressants can also help to reduce anxiety and that may be why they have been prescribed. Different tablets have a different effect on different people. It’s not an exact science so if the tablets aren’t right for you, you can discuss alternatives with your GP.

It can sometimes take a few attempts and a GP who listens to get it right.

If your GP isn’t discussing options with you, try another GP.

Scapegoat
      Participant

Hey, I felt like this for first three weeks or so on antidepressants but after a month I tried taking them at a different time of day and they worked much better. However now after being on them for 3 months I feel like they’re not really doing their job and like you I’m taking them for anxiety caused by oh as was having major panic attacks. Initially they stopped the panic in that I really didn’t give a toss what happened any more as knew I couldn’t control it so accepted it was what it was. Been told can’t just come off them have to stay on the, for 6-9 months then gradually stop taking them.
      Speak to your Dr again, May be that it takes time to settle or that particular type doesn’t suit you.
      Take care xx

ISOPeace
        Participant

In my experience GPs have varying knowledge on this type of medication. I asked how long I should stay on them, because I mainly went on them to get myself together enough to leave (which worked). I was told that they usually say at least 6 months because they want to make sure your mood is stable for a while before coming off them. So if you’ve been taking yours long enough to get the full effect (sounds like you have) and they’re not working, I’d see a different doctor about switching meds or just coming off them. x*x

gettingtired
      Participant

Thank you everyone. He’s already thrown the fact I’m taking medication back in my face by making a few spiteful digs which is no surprise I guess. Just have to persevere and hope it helps the anxiety that keeps me stuck in freeze mode 😞 x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content