Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Iwon
      Participant

I used to and still do sometimes feel a sense of shame that I got conned by and married such an abusive conman.

I have read lately about the new laws with mental and emotional abuse how they say it is comfortable to being in a cult and brain washed.

My exes family were like this. I went to them for help a few times to try and reason with him. They laughed and told me how lucky I was.

When I finally left him they turned on me with venom and I cut them off in the end.

I see now they all give him money and buy him cars when he tells them a son story. He has drained his mom and nan financially and they still go on about how I was a good digger (hahaha).

He gambled my pension life savings and I kept him for years and they all got together to bully me out of my house.

I actually think now they were just conned like me.

I watched a documentary called holy he’ll on netflix. It’s about a cult. Bear with it to begin because you really see the similar stuff to domestic abuse brain washing and lies all wrapped up in the name if love.

The people who got sucked in were all educated clever people. If it can happen to them maybe I am not stupid.

Anyone else got any thoughts? All the best x

KIP.
      Participant

I read that abusers use the same tactics as pedophiles. I looked into it and spoke to a survivor of childhood sexual abuse and the similarities were shocking. It’s a kind of grooming.
      Haven’t read much about cults but I’ve heard several women mention the similarities and I can imagine it is.

I agree with all this.
      big hugs
      ftc
      x

Iwon
      Participant

Hi ladies the child abusers thing I so agree. The grooming all abusers and comment use. I always think people’s attitude is never would happen to me.

The techniques are so similar. The person who is grooming th is in a place of trust with you. A parent or friend or lover.

I used to think why am I so stupid. I now think it could happen to anyone x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content