Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      IAmOut
      Participant

Hi, this is my first post here. I have been out of a long-term abusive relationship for one year now and I’m worried that I’m still feeling the effects of it. I’ve always been depressed and anxious but it’s been worse lately, and I’m engaging in a lot of reckless behaviours. After looking online I wonder if I have something like borderline personality disorder or PTSD after everything I’ve been through. I struggle at work because of my poor mental health. Has anyone been through anything similar? Thanks.

iliketea
      Participant

Hi yes, definitely, I feel as If Im getting worse after more time. Its because your brain has finally got time to process what happened rather than being in fight, flight, freeze or fawn response. So in a way it is a good thing, but it is useful to have help to process those feelings. I’d encourage you to see your GP and see if you can also get some trauma counselling. Domestic abuse agencies usually offer this. GP referral or contact them directly. Have you had a chance to read any books about abuse “Healing from Hidden Abuse” is really good, its on Audible too. Or attend the Freedom programme, in person or online.
      Keep posting here too, processing by saying/writing it outloud can really help too. Similar experiences. And there is the helpline too. You need validation that you are ok, it is ok, you will be ok, and WELL DONE. One year is amazing to be OUT! Never ever forget that. High five lady.x*x

IAmOut
        Participant

Thank you, I’ll check them out 🙂

midnightshadow
      Participant

I definitely found it strange that I moved on from the relationship and was able to manage really well for a good few years with only suffering anxiety. Nearly (detail removed by Moderator) years on, I started suffering PTSD as a result of receiving a nasty message from him and then controlling messages to do with seeing our son which really triggered me to start having nightmares, struggling to concentrate, randomly crying, panic attacks, flashbacks etc… You might want to go to the GP or self refer on Health In Mind for some counselling. Well done for getting out!xx

IAmOut
        Participant

Thanks! I hope you are doing better xx

FacingRealityAtLast
      Participant

can recommend SelfLoveU blogspot website – going there myself right now! or look for jenna ryan youtube videos … she knows how abuse feels and has come out the other side with some wisdom and validation to share.

IAmOut
        Participant

Thanks 🙂 I’ll have a look at them

FacingRealityAtLast
      Participant

can recommend SelfLoveU blogspot website – going there myself right now! or look for jenna ryan youtube videos … she knows how abuse feels and has come out the other side with some wisdom and validation to share.(Link removed by Moderator)

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content