Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      ilovestrawberries
      Participant

Has anyone decided to find refuge accommodation in a completely different town or city? What are your experiences if you have?

If you have children, how did it affect them and how did you find the process of finding a school place?

ISOPeace
      Participant

Hi there, I haven’t experienced this but wanted to bump your post up. Have you spoken to women’s aid for advice? xxxx

ilovestrawberries
        Participant

Thank you and I spoke to them to ask whether it was possible to seek refuge accommodation in another part of the country and they said yes and that I would receive support applying to housing in that area.

I would like know if anyone who has uprooted found it to be the best decision they ever made…

Eggshells
      Participant

Yes, my only option was to leave town but I did head home”ish” so my family are now within easy distance to visit for a day.

I can’t pretend it’s been easy. I haven’t made new friends here, lockdowns have made it hard but I’ve not felt ready to hit the social scene anyway.

I’ve stayed in touch with some very supportive friends from my old life and I spend quite a bit of time on the forum. Online friends are my new normal and it works well for me.

WICKED
      Participant

Yes, I did. I’d spent my whole life in the same area, as did my children. We decided to leave the area and for us, it was totally the right decision. I thought I’d miss the old area as it’s the only one we’d ever known, but I don’t!

StrongLife
      Participant

I had to relocate areas far away from my normal area as that is what was available at the time. Lost people I talked to which ultimately was good thing as he was trying to get them to reveal where I was to find me.

I discovered a different city. Saw things I never had. There was limited time there and eventually left there for bigger refuge. Both were out of area – I wanted to leave immediately due to serious concern for personal safety with little options.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content