Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Roadtonowhere
      Participant

Hi, I’m new here and this is all new to me. I live in  (detail removed by moderator) and have done for (detail removed by moderator) years. I have 5 children. I am British and my children all have British citizenship. I feel like I am broken a shell of the person that I used to be, my husband doesn’t listen to me, won’t hear my opinion on anything, when we argue he leaves the house sometimes for days, he won’t talk to me either and will talk to me through our children. Living in (detail removed by moderator) he has control over everything, he knows when I spend money and how much he has a go at me for grocery shopping even. He does nothing at all at home he has never changed a nappy or got up to feed kids at night because he “has a wife” He has hit me once and it hasn’t happened again. He hits our kids and puts us down, he makes me feel worthless. I feel like I always have to walk on eggshells when he is at home. I am coming to the UK (detail removed by moderator)and I am thinking of telling my husband that I won’t be going back with him, we are traveling with our (detail removed by moderator) and I will keep them with me. I want to know if I will have any problems being able to keep my girls, and if I will have support from agencies like women’s aid.

Do not tell your husband your plans. Please. Other ladies on here will advise. Please call women’s aid for further advice.

Welcome on here. We can offer moral support and understanding from the ladies on here. Keep posting. Step by step you will have hope. Well done for holding it down as a mother with your girls.

Lovely to see you posting on here. The ladies understand every situation is different, but if we all take things step by step we are on the road to a better life.
      all best
      ftc
      x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Roadtonowhere

Welcome to the forum, so sorry to hear what is happening to you and your daughters.

If you are planning on bringing your children back to the UK permanently without the permission of their father you would need to see if that is legal in the country you are currently in. Look up the ‘Hague Convention’ to see if the country you are living in is part of this international law which may prevent you from being able to do this legally. If you are coming to the UK for a holiday you could get legal advice straight away when you arrive to see what your options are with keeping the children here with you. Something also to consider is that it is unlikely you will be eligible for benefits for at least 6 months when you arrive so you will need somewhere to be able to stay, as it would be difficult to access refuge accommodation without any funding.

Once you arrive in the UK you can contact the helpline on 0808 2000 247 for information and contact the local domestic abuse charity in your local area to see what support they can offer.https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Also ftc is right about keeping these plans secret from your husband as if he suspects anything he may prevent you from coming back to the UK for this holiday.

Take care and keep posting

Lisa

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content