Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Prague
      Participant

Hi, I’ve been out of my abusive relationship for about (detail removed by moderator) now. I didn’t really know it was abuse until i was out of the relationship. It’s slow progress with coming to terms with what happened. I never confronted him and told him how much he damaged me. I’m still too scared. I can’t sleep very well and when I do sleep, I have really disturbing dreams and flashbacks of things he did to me and things that happened. I can’t even begin to tell you all the ways he tortured me. He made every aspect of my life hell and isolated me from the world. Even if that meant locking me in a small room. It wasn’t my life. He controlled everything. I’d very felt so out of control in my life. I was depressed and neurotic and to be honest, it all feels like a terrible terrible dream. But then I realise that it’s not a dream. It happened to me.
      My daily life is better, I just get on with things, despite self-isolation (pandemic). The only thing really getting to me is the disturbing dreams. Does any one else experience these and do you know anything that can help?

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi and you’re so welcome. Dreams are a way of making sense of what went on, that it was real, that you’re safe now to be able to remember the trauma you went through. If you can write them down, visual reminder and evidence for the future if required. It’s really our brain letting us know that we are getting stronger. Strong enough to deal with(even though it really doesn’t feel like it)the memories. There’s a book titled the body knows the score, you can download it. When you’re floored by these dreams next day, be kind to yourself. Eat well, drink plenty of water.(keeps the headaches at bay)Little and often works fir me, can’t face dinners yet, I’m a little but further down the line than you, not much, anniversary soon(not wedding😄)
      IWMB 💞💞

Prague
        Participant

Hi, thank you so much. I’m going to look into that book, sounds really helpful!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content