Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Meekgeek
      Participant

Hello ladies,
      I’ve recently come to the end of my coping strategies with the emotional and psychological abuse I’ve endured, on and off, for years. (removed by moderator) ago I was going to end it all and jump off a local bridge. Since then, I’ve told my manager and some friends and getting the help I so desperately need.
      I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced the complete lack of energy that seems to have washed over me since then? I feel absolutely exhausted, more mentally than physically, and I’m having to really push myself to engage with anything, including people. It’s as if my body, after all this time, has said, enough is enough, you’re worn out and need to sit and rest. I just want to sit and be quiet. Does anyone know how long this can go on for? I appreciate we are all different.

KIP.
      Participant

All that adrenaline and anxiety takes it’s toll emotionally and this is the come down. It’s just your mind needing to take time to heal and recharge. Try to make sure you’re eating healthy and drinking lots of water. Limit yourself to three things a day until you start to feel better. That’s what I had to do.
      I had been abused for decades and it took a couple of years of real highs and lows. Don’t rush recovery and be very kind to yourself. Slowly the good days outweigh the bad x

Meekgeek
      Participant

Thanks, Kip.
      I guessed that was the case. It feels as if a stopper has been pulled out of my body and, as you say, all that pent up energy and adrenalin, has finally been allowed to be released. I knew I was living on empty, emotionally and psychologically, for a very long time but only now am I realising the toll it has taken. My daughter told me the exact same thing, limiting myself to a few small achievements a day, and they can be as basic as bathing and eating. My counselling begins soon and while I know I have to do this, I’m aware it’s going to be a process of highs and lows.
      I know there’s light at the end of the proverbial tunnel but I also know that all the damage that’s been accumulated over the years, and not dealt with, is not going to be processed and worked through overnight. It’s going to take time, a long time before I find myself again.
      That’s it really, I don’t know who I am any more. I’m so broken and disconnected from all that has happened it feels as if it’s happening to somebody else, not me. I’ve got guilt, shame, and a whole bag of other feelings that have to be worked through. But I’m determined to get ME back. Thanks for listening x

KIP.
      Participant

Think of a huge blank sheet of paper. You now have the all the crayons and pencilS to colour that paper in just the way you want. Slowly adding brighter colours. You will get there x

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content