Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      zenmomma
      Participant

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I have come out of an abusive relationship, we have a DD who is (detail removed by moderator) and currently in court over contact. The X is having to jump through hoops because of his previous behaviour and at moment Social Services are involved and a guardian has been appointed by the court and he is getting (detail removed by moderator) supervised.

So far the X has finally got the message to not contact me unless via his solicitor or social services but as things move on and the authorities step back I am scared he will start up his campaign of threats, coercion and violence to get what he wants. (he seems to be behaving atm) Can I apply for a non-molestation order. I have texts, e mails, Facebook posts and police reports to confirm what a vile person he is but these are now over (detail removed by moderator) old will they still count?

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any words of wisdom welcome. xx

scarlet herring
      Participant

Hi my advice is dont wait for something to happen rather make sure you have taken precautions to protect yourself. Most solicitors offer free legal advice services so it worth seeing if they will help you.
      Again domestic abuse support charities are supposed to be able to help you get a NMO and its worth contacting them to see if they can help.
      If you think that ex will re appear then its likely he will, The sooner you block him the least harm he can cause you and your child. Abusers seldom give you up easily so abuse 7mths ago is in my opinion still recent. It might be worth contacting the police to see if they can help
      Good luck with your new life I hope all goes well for you and your family

Anonymous
      Inactive

I couldn’t get one because he hadn’t threatened or assaulted me in the last two weeks. I took advice and this was what I was told about two weeks ago. I was trying to get a non mol order after the restrsiming order ran out.

scarlet herring
      Participant

Hi Landy what you are saying doesnt sound right. Over the last few years I have been fobbed of with complete rubbish by the police and others. Who gave you this advice? The police in my area are wonderful at making the law up as they go. Most support workers have little or no legal training. Might I suggest you contact victim support and other agencies who might give you a completely different answer. I have no legal training but common sence tells me you can either get a Non Mol order or a restraining order renewed. Waiting till something happens before you can get an order is complete madness and again doesnt make sence. Tell people you are scared of something happening as it has in the past and hopefully someone will take notice of you. Knowbody should have to live in fear

fizzylem
      Participant

You could call DV Assist for advice; they can also help get the non mol; but won’t take you on if you are already getting legal aid – think they will still offer advice though. Rights for Women also offer free legal advice.

I would google an application form and have a read of it; should be available on-line. It’s only £85 to submit the application yourself. You could self rep or get a solictor for the day in court. Shouldn’t cost too much if you only need a solcitor to check your application and rep you for one day, might only be half a day?

Guess the help you need is to make sure you know how to fill in the application and what they will want in court – so once you’ve got this info you could rep yourself.

Just wondering why you weren’t advised you could get one during the family procedings – would have made sense to get it then hey. Feels for me they just want to get us in and out asap without dealing with things fully. Sigh xx

Round2
      Participant

The police referred me for for a non-mol through the NCDV. It’s taken me a few weeks to sort out applying and getting the paper work done but I’ve been told I might need to go the ‘on-notice’ route rather than the ‘no-notice’ one that I want, and that is because of the time delay. Two weeks is a relatively short time, mine was 6weeks but I am still able to process the application! The NCDV have been great with supporting me with the application, I didnt qualify for legal aid so they sent me a template that was really easy to follow and check it for free. All I will need to do is pay for someone to serve the order if the courts grant it for me.

KIP.
      Participant

It boils down to convincing the judge on the day. I’d always saY to try and use the prevention angle too. You’re applying for this order not only because of what has happened in the past but also because there has been a lengthy pattern of abusive behaviour and you need protection for the future. Domestic abuse is the most re victimised of all crimes. My ex objected and spent thousands on it. I think that in itself proves how much I needed protection that he just wouldn’t accept that I didn’t want him near me. If someone said to me not to contact them or come near them, that’s exactly what I would do. What kind of a person spends thousands so that can come near their victim?

Anonymous
      Inactive

It was DV Assist who advised me. I now have nothing in place and he is free to turn up at any time. And I still have his dog, so it’s a distinct possibility.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I had a restraining order when he was convicted, but it’s run out.

I’ve given up tbh. I’ve had no help whatsoever in dealing with any of this, so I’m not that surprised. They told me I just have to dial 999 if he turns up and kicks off.

zenmomma
      Participant

Thanks for this advice guys. I know he wont drop leave it to court now as I saw him today and he said what I am doing is out of order. Even though did not threaten me he came into my face to make sure I saw him. I’ve repeatedly told his solicitor and social services have told him not to contact me so as i know things will escalate I’m getting advice and I’ve got forms ready.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content