Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Minniemum
      Participant

My eldest has become very defiant and angry during lockdown and even spat at me today. She will often fight with her brother. The regular screaming and shouting (and unkind works) when I try to de-escalate things seem to trigger me at the moment and I find myself not being able to keep calm.

I can’t help but wonder if her awful tantrums are because of lockdown, because she has seen her father behave this way, if it’s just her character or because I’m struggling to cope with everything?!?! Or a combination of all of these?

I have been solo parenting (they have have only had contact by video call) for the last (detail removed by moderator) and it is getting harder and harder.

Dragon
      Participant

Parenting is hard at the best of times let alone during lockdown.
      I think sometimes it is hard for them to manage their emotions and it comes out as anger sometimes.
      I haven’t got the answers but just showing some solidarity as my kids lash out towards me too. I think they sense my anxiety and that is part of it.

Hugs xx

survivorabuse
      Participant

Mine have been nightmares too lately. I blame myself letting the kids video call their father.

Kitkat44
      Participant

The one thing that helps me sometimes is to hear all fighting, arguing and bickering with each other or us as a call for help.
      They do pick up on how we are feeling, the more sad I feel the more unpleasant one of my boys seems to be to me. He’s very tuned in to me and is the first to spot if I’m wobbling!
      I think it’s there way of saying “I’m really struggling right now.” If we are finding it difficult to navigate the emotions it’s 10times harder for children.
      It’s Be kind to yourself, and take things slowly
      Xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content