Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Eggshells
      Participant

Hi all, I’d like to put together a playlist of songs that will inspire and lift spirits. I’d like songs that are about a new and better life, empowerment etc. Songs such as Nina Simone’s New Life or Shania Twain’s Black eyes, blue tears. Songs that will really mean something to survivors. Any suggestions gratefully received. I’ve got a few ideas I can add and I’ll post as I remember them.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. xx

White Rose
      Participant

I’m still standing – Elton John. Just read these lyrics. Great to sing aloud (the louder the better I find šŸ˜€) , preferably while dancing round the kitchen when you’re meant to be washing up but feel rebellious! I have many empowering songs on my playlists but this one always gets me grounded when I find myself pondering the past and feeling self doubt and self loathing for what I let happen to me. Unlike sone of the other songs this NEVER makes me cry and ALWAYS makes me smile!!

You could never know what it’s like
      Your blood like winter freezes just like ice
      And there’s a cold lonely light that shines from you
      You’ll wind up like the wreck you hide behind that mask you use

And did you think this fool could never win
      Well look at me, I’m coming back again
      I got a taste of love in a simple way
      And if you need to know while I’m still standing you just fade away
      Don’t you know I’m still standing better than I ever did
      Looking like a true survivor, feeling like a little kid
      I’m still standing after all this time
      Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind
      I’m still standing yeah yeah yeah
      I’m still standing yeah yeah yeah
      Once I never could hope to win
      You starting down the road leaving me again
      The threats you made were meant to cut me down
      And if our love was just a circus you’d be a clown by now…

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I love music, it is the nourishment for my soul, I have it on all the time when Iā€™m inside.
      I love podcasts too. I love sound really šŸ˜ƒ

Anyhow, here are few empowering songs which I find lift the spirit and are inspirational šŸŽ¶šŸŽµ

ā€˜I will surviveā€™ from Gloria Gaynor this song choice was posted by a strong someone here and since then find it embodies most perfectly our stories and is the most empowering survivor song of all.

ā€˜You donā€™t own meā€™ by Lesley Gore. I love this song! It says it all. You donā€™t own me! And I am free, yes absolutely.

ā€˜Read all about it, Part IIIā€™ by Emily SandĆ©. Song about oppression in general and emphasizes on encouraging voicing out your story and showing you donā€™t need to do it alone, someone is always there to help you regain your voice and validating your experience.

ā€˜Jar of Heartsā€™ by Christina Perri, describes her abusive exā€™s hoover attempts but she is no fool and sees his game for what it is.

ā€˜Like a drugā€™ by Hard-FI, song about trauma bonding, recognising the damaging effect of his relationship with her but unable to leave and comparing their bond to a drug addiction, her sucking the life out of him.

ā€˜Just beā€™ by TiĆ«sto, song to empower yourself about being just the way you are right here, right now, even after having being hurt and lost.

ā€˜Felling goodā€™ by Nina Simone or Muse, I enjoy either version, an uplifting song to begin a new life and feeling good about it.

AlwaysSorry
      Participant

My music taste is all over the place, for me it’s all about the lyrics, and some of the lyrics in Halsey’s “Nightmare” really struck me; ‘I don’t owe you a godd**n thing’ and ‘I’m tired and angry but somebody should be’.

Mona “Shooting the Moon” – ‘All that you tried to deny, all of your velvet tongued lies, will get you back, so watch your back it’s coming soon’

PVRIS “My House” – Just the entire lyrics, be too much to type out here.

Janet Jackson “What About” – Entire lyrics.

Pendulum “The Tempest”, “Witchcraft” and “Crush”. The video for “Crush” is very triggering for me still.

Fall Out Boy “Champion” – ‘If I can live through this, I can do anything”.

The Offspring “You’re Gonna Go Far, Kid” – ‘Slowly out of line and drifting closer in your sights, so play it out I’m wide awake, it’s a scene about me. There’s something in your way and now someone is gonna pay and if you can’t get what you want, well, it’s all because of me’

Halestorm “I Am The Fire” – ‘I promise to myself, me an no one else. I am more than this. I am the fire’

One song that cheers me up is Electric Six “Danger! High Voltage” just because it’s utterly silly.

diymum@1
      Participant

dont laugh but when my daughter was upset during custody (she had to go we played) dont worry be happy for her it really helped!! xx

Tiffany
      Participant

Sorry – Karine Polwart

Fighter – Christina Aguilera

Roar – Katy Perry

Cowboy Casanova – Carrie Underwood

Writing Stories – Miss Montreal

Alive – Sia

Praying – Kesha

Set Fire to the Rain – Adele

Unstoppable – Sia

Fudgecake
      Participant

Strong – Mark Kingswood

Heard this one for first time yesterday.
      Itā€™s my new anthem šŸ†

Eggshells
      Participant

Fantastic. Thank you all for your suggestions. xx

KIP.
      Participant

Tomorrow by The Communards
      RESPECT by Aretha Franklin x

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

i want to thank you KIP for posting Respect from Aretha Franklin, it opened up a whole new kind of music I am listening to now, from her to Stevie Wonder, The Contours all the rockā€™nā€™roll blues soul, all wonderful uplifting songs šŸŽ¶šŸŽµšŸ‘

One more from Aretha Franklin ā€œThink ā€œ
      A feminist anthem, telling the story of Franklin standing up to her abusive husband šŸ’ŖšŸ’ƒ

KIP.
      Participant

No probs. My niece said she saw me in my high heels and rain coat carrying my costa coffee looking like a totally different woman. She said that song was playing in her car as I walked along and it made her smile. I like to play that song and that image comes to mind. I never wore heels and always looked towards the ground, not making eye contact. Music has helped me very much. He even dictated what we would listen to. Good riddance to bead rubbish. Turn that volume up and dance your legs off lol x

HunkyDory
      Participant

Always Sorry – I love pendulum, reminds me of my festival days. I watched the Crush video – wow thatā€™s powerful. Some great suggestions here, Iā€™m currently immersing myself in the music of my best years (and more to com) northern soul and jazz funk. Loud, very loud! Music is my sanctuary. What a great idea eggshells, maybe you could publish the playlist on Spotify or YouTube! XX

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Thatā€™s a wonderful visual, symbolising feminine confidence, how very beautiful and strong, I donā€™t dare yet to walk with such confidence, your niece is lucky to have such great role model in her life – as are we all on here too, so blessed šŸ˜Œ

Absolutely, volume is always up and shaking the hips and bits to the beats šŸ˜†šŸŽµ

If you search for Respect (from Aretha Franklin) on Spotify then just let it roll to the next song, it plays radio Respect filled with a whole bunch of powerful soul songs.

AlwaysSorry
      Participant

Tool – “Fear Inoculum”

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Carry On by Fun

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

ā€œWithout Himā€ by Lucy May Walker
      a singer who is raising awareness about Domestic Abuse for Womenā€™s Aid, specifically emotional abuse in her song.
      Her video is brilliant too, shedding light on the controlling but including the pleasant sides of the relationship as well.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

Amazing percussion play on Fear Inoculum, it was pure joy to listen to this artfully composed piece of music! Loved the lyrics too. thx for sharing AlwaysSorry.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Ā© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England ā€“ Womenā€™s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Womenā€™s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions ā”‚ Privacy & cookie policy ā”‚ Site map ā”‚ Protect yourself onlineā”‚ MediaĀ ā”‚Ā Jobs ā”‚ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content