Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Chocolatebunnie
      Participant

I’m wondering if you lovely people can share some experiences of getting out with a happy ending as I’m now wanting to move forward, making plans, feeling frightened and overwhelmed.

Need to see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello Chocolatebunnie,

I’m sure other users will be along to share some positivity and encouragement soon, but in the meantime I just wanted to direct you to the ‘Positive Moments’ forum, as there are lots of relevant posts there to browse. https://survivorsforum.womensaid.org.uk/forums/forum/positive-moments/

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Teaandcats
      Participant

I’d really appreciate reading some positive ‘get out’ stories too. Or even some not-completely-awful stories.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi I’m also new to the forum I’ve started my life over again, been about (detail removed by Moderator) I’m free from my ex living with me . I have no contact now , although this was really hard to begin with I took each day step by step and felt stronger as time went on . I still have my wobble days I call them , but I have never had any regret from leaving my abusive relationship. I was in a mess for about a year picking up the pieces , breaking down in tears at how I was going to cope with everything that was going on , but you know what I did it , now I’m going to work , my son is settled and happy , I’m renovating my house and have other projects in the pipeline . I was also struggling with debt , but I sorted out all my money worries . As my ex wanted full attention on him I was unable to go to work , business that needed after he stopped me from doing , my son wasn’t getting my full attention as my ex created so much drama it was like having a newborn to deal with constantly. Now I can do what I want when I want and no longer have to answer to my ex in everything I do . Financially Iam better off without him now and I have peace of mind , sanity in my life . There is light at the end of the tunnel , you just got to focus on yourself, surround yourself with a good support network also . Good luck xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

Remember your already strong and brave by making the first steps of thinking of your future and getting out , so your halfway there , be proud of every little even small achievement day by day xx

Chocolatebunnie
      Participant

Aww thanks for your reply you’ve done amazingly, just what I needed to read, some of the things I’m anxious about you’ve tackled and succeeded, I’m glad you and your son now have a good balance of everything and despite it all you did it.

Inspirational and giving me more hope thank you x*x

wildandfree
      Participant

Hey Chocolatebunnie

There is light at the end of the tunnel and it is bright and wonderful!

I have been free for * years.It took me years to leave and countless attempts. But now I am free. Free is the best word I can use to describe my life now. For (detail removed by Moderator) decades I felt trapped, like this is all I deserve. My self esteem was rock bottom. I couldn’t understand how this man that claimed to adore me, could treat me so badly. I was just plodding through life because I couldn’t see any way that it would get better and I couldn’t get out. But I did.

Life after? Oh my goodness, nothing would convince me to go back. Things did not change over night, but I look back on my journey and I really like who I am. I really, really like me and my life. I am free to make my own choices, I am free to make my own mistakes. I have done things that have challenged me. (detail removed by Moderator) I solo (detail removed by Moderator) across my county, and camped on route. Not a big event for some, but I felt so proud of myself. I have taken myself of camping and exploring alone because I can, and there is no one to demand to know where I am 24 hours a day.

I have met a wonderful man, and finally I know what it feels like to be loved. And to be able to return love in a healthy way. I have got a job I love, and I am looking to either study for another degree or to start my own business. In fact I am now free to make any decision I want, that there are almost too many!

I totally get the fear of leaving. For years all I could see was a big black hole of nothingness and loneliness. I couldn’t see a future. But now I am out and I am grateful every single day.

You can do it. It is not easy. It is heartbreaking at times. So many times I thought ‘but what if this is a mistake’ or ‘ what if I regret it’. But I never have. There is so much life out there!

Good luck. Trust your instinct!

nbumblebee
      Participant

@chocolatebunnie Thanks for asking this question sometimes we need to hear that there is a light even if we cant yet see it xx

Teaandcats
      Participant

Thank you The Dutchess and wildandfree for your stories, and to chocolatebunnie for starting this thread x

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content