• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      gettingtired
      Participant

Without going into too many details, myself and my partner’s first property we rented together was a bit of a disaster. Seriously dodgy landlord which resulted in lots of problems so we didn’t stay there for very long at all. Before we left the electric company sent us an extremely high bill considering we hadn’t been there for very long. We were concerned the electrics were dodgy and maybe that bill was also someone else’s in the building. The energy company said it was solely ours so I liased with them about setting up a re-payment plan. I can’t remember exactly what happened but I don’t think they contacted me again and the payments were not taken from my bank account. Months later I started receiving occasional emails to my email account but addressed to my partner’s name talking about debt collection. I wasn’t really sure what it was or whether it could just be a scam. A few people told me it could be the company chasing us for money and that it could come back to bite us in the future. Eventually the emails stopped though and I kind of just forgot about it.

Does anyone have any advice? I’m still with partner although I know I need to leave him eventually (that’s another story) and something else I’m really struggling with.

I’ve no idea what to do regarding the above. It was a few years ago now.

Camel
      Participant

Hi GT

You need to find out if you have a County Court Judgement against you. You can do this with Checkmyfile, free for 30 days.

If there isn’t a CCJ you can forget about it.

If there is a CCJ you may be able to get it set aside. You can also see how long it will stay on your credit report and how it’s affected your credit score.

Really, you don’t need to panic. Chances are there’s nothing to worry about. I’ve never heard of debt collectors using email anyway. They always put it in official letters.

Camel
      Participant

CCJs stay on your file for 6 years and are then removed, even if you haven’t paid.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think there’s a time limit for them coming after the u if they didn’t bill u properly. I don’t kno if same thing with it situation. If they didn’t take the money for pre payment, wouldn’t that be their fault. I think u need to get advice from citizens advice or somewhere like that. Hope u get it sorted xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content