Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

Hi, I just want to see what you all think. I’ve had quite a few psychiatric reports done in the past and they always comment on my appearance. They usually say ‘Miss x was casually dressed’ or “Miss x was tidy and wearing casual clothes’. This report states ‘Miss x is an attractive woman’. It’s made me feel quite uneasy. Am I over reacting. FYI the psychiatrist this time is female. But if it was Male I think it would definitely be inappropriate so why should she be allowed to comment on how attractive she find me. What difference does it make? Maybe I’m overthinking but its made me feel quite uneasy.

diymum@1
      Participant

your right people well patients were sometimes abrreviated as this GLW good looking woman back say 20 years ago this was written alot in the notes xx now as becoming pc this isnt really acceptable. i take it shes older? its medical jargon i guess but from days gone by lol compliment tho! xxxx

diymum@1
      Participant

they also say this para 2:1 means two live births and a miscarriage even when its to do with say orthopaedic surgery not even gynae xx nothing to do with anything sexism kept in a medical jargon time warp xx

KIP.
      Participant

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, she’s older. Makes sense, medical jargon. Yes lol I shall take it as a compliment but definitely not pc today. I wonder what they would put for someone not attractive or why they thought even back then it was appropriate to comment. Maybe it was a Male thing to begin with and they didn’t see anything wrong?

diymum@1
      Participant

yeh it probably was started by male doctors etc for sure! they wouldnt comment about being unattractive. thwy would say unkept or discheviled but i think they feel thats an out ward showing off how people feel about themselves. self care xx not always a true reflection tho off state of mind xxxx

KIP.
      Participant

I totally agree about the outward appearance and the assumption that if you wash your hair and dress well, your less depressed than someone who doesn’t. I’ve been so depressed I’d had to crawl along the floor to the bathroom but I found that energy to wash and get dressed. I couldn’t do much else but that action was a struggle, I think it’s probably much different if you’re clinically depressed. Then you really don’t have a choice. My depression came from my circumstances.

diymum@1
      Participant

yeh clinical depression basically means youve given up so tbh you wouldnt make it to the appointment youd be seen in hospital.so isnt relevant in this situation. getting my shower perfume and makeup made me feel better even at my lowest ebb. xxxx

diymum@1
      Participant

youd be on things like mirtazipine – to get well again which is completely doable under the right treatment. state off the other persons mind is no excuse for rape in any case.

BeautyMarked
      Participant

How strange and very judgemental (even if it’s a compliment!) The implication of noting such things is very subjective and not appropriate at all, especially as it could be used to infer all manner of things. Interesting to hear about this and get the background on it.

NewWings
      Participant

Hi Kip,got the t shirt too,after an accident where the Dr was assessing my reaction to the collision. My appearance was commented on, middle aged woman slightly overweight! What that had to do with the price of cheese I don’t know. More recently from a female Dr it was, well presented and appropriately dressed. If I’d arrived in a mini skirt and thigh high boots and lots of makeup what would the description been, obviously takes her fashion ideas from Pretty Woman. I just think we are as gender judged by our appearance in a way that men can’t even begin to understand. Its discrimination.

KIP.
      Participant

Would they comment on the appearance of a man? I can’t imagine them writing Mr X is a handsome man.

diymum@1
      Participant

they say things like this powerful man or this heavily tatooed male xx it is to identify you to a degree but it isnt pc xx

diymum@1
      Participant

as in powerfully built xx

BeautyMarked
      Participant

How do you go about getting a report like this done? Do I have to go through a GP? What is the advantage of it for those who are trying to pursue criminal or civil resolutions?

diymum@1
      Participant

youll only get this info about yourself – if you felt he had mental health problems and it went to court the judge could request his records xx

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content