Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Namaste
      Participant

Hello this is my first time on this forum. I was in a (detail removed by moderator) year abusive relationship, I left a year ago yet am still really struggling getting on with my life. I can’t sleep and when I do I have awful nightmares where I wake up screaming. I have constant flashbacks and lots of triggers that set me off. I feel as if I am always on edge and am just generally very tired out and just sick of it! I don’t wany to self diagnose as I think that can be dangerous but am wondering whether I have PTSD? I was hoping some one could please shed some light on whether this is normal and whether everyone else’s after affects last as long? As I said I’m new too this and feeling a bit hopeless so some guidance would be brilliant. Thank you!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi hun
      I left an abusive relationship my ex totaly destroyed me i was left very ill . I was referred to mental health where they diagnosed me with ptsd . Make an appointment with your gp and try get a referral or do it your self .
      Keep strong hugs X

Serenity
      Participant

It sounds like it, Namaste.

Counselling helps, and look online for exercises to do with Dialectical Behavioural Therapy ( DBT ) and Distress Tolerance techniques.

If it is affecting you very badly, you could ask your GP about EMDR – eye movement therapy. A previous lady on this forum swore by this, and swore by it. I’ve heard it’s very effective- and you might get it through the NHS.

Good luck. I’ve been there. Still struggling at times, but much improved x

Ayanna
      Participant

Hi, yes, this is part of PTSD. I have the same problems. I scream the house down at times.

Unfortunately the NHS refuses to help me until I do something bad.

Speak to your GP. Maybe you get lucky. Otherwise you need to walk the costly path of self payment, if you can afford it.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Namaste,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your brave and honest post. I am so pleased to see that you have had some supportive replies. It sounds like you are doing brilliantly at trying to pick up the pieces after an abusive relationship but I just want you to know that you do not have to do it alone. We are all here for you on this forum and we understand that it can take a long time to recover from the effects and trauma of abuse. Please do try and speak to an adviser on The Helpline. They will help you and can put you in touch with your local Women’s Aid who can offer you lots of help and support.

Please keep being kind to yourself and take every day at a time. Until then please keep posting and we will all do our best to help you.

Best wishes,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Sending you support too, in bucketloads.

As soon as you are out of itcomes the time to heal from it and processing what happened is a big part of that healing . It can take along time . I think everyone is different but I would definitely encourage ypu to find out what help isavailable to you and what you feel comfortable to do amd when . The important thing is to go at your pace with something gentle and suppprtive if you are now ina safe space to do that .

Take care of yourself

Warmest wishes Ks

katielove
      Participant

I had some great help from a local counselling service and rape crises. I was getting about eight anxiety attacks at night at one point and felt like I was having a heart attack several times. After fantastic help, ensuring that I ate healthily and exercised I now only get anxious very occasionally. I can honestly say that it took a couple of years but I do feel better. Whether it is PTSD or not, you know you don’t feel right and need to access some support when you feel ready.

I hope you can access some help as it really does make a difference. Good luck.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content