Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Benson
      Participant

Hi I have a few questions I need answering as I am having a bit of a panic!
      As from previous post a serious incident occurred at the weekend. Police were called and I didn’t do a statement as it was in the early hours and I am scared of repercussions. However the police are taking it very seriously and are investigating – can they do this even without a statement from me?

I have come out as high risk and have been referred to MARAC. Will SS get involved before or after the MARAC? I am so worried, but I am trying to do everything to keep my child safe.

They want me to go to refuge, but I don’t want to go, can this go against me? Sorry but the whole thing has turned my life upside down once again.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi there Benson,

I’m sorry to hear about all this; it’s understandable why you’re feeling so panicked. So what the police will be able to do will depend on the evidence available. They can sometimes take cases to the CPS without a statement if there is a lot of evidence, but obviously with a statement would make their case a lot stronger.

There is a chance that social services will get involved before, and be present at the Marac, but try not to worry too much about this. All they will want to see is that you are keeping your child safe.

No one can make you do anything you don’t want to do; these services should be working with you to promote yours and your child’s safety. What would be a really good idea (if you haven’t done so already) would be to speak to your local domestic abuse service and ask for an IDVA (Independent Domestic Violence Advisor). The IDVA will be that 1 person who can advocate for you, and help you navigate all these different services; they should also be able to represent your views and wishes during the Marac.

Take care,

Lisa,
      Forum Moderator

Benson
      Participant

Thank you for your response Lisa, it has put me at ease. The local DA services were in touch the following day, but didn’t give much advice and the person didn’t leave a contact number. I guess the police will contact me after the MARAC to let me know the outcome. So much to think about at the moment. Thanks for the support

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content