Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      KIP.
      Participant

I just wanted to share that after being estranged from my adult child because of the trauma of abuse from his father, we recently met up. I no longer see him through the eyes of PTSD and fear and paranoia. It’s not talked about enough that our own children can trigger our PTSD and how difficult it can be to communicate. So if you’re going through this at the moment, it’s okay to take a step back until you’re mentally ready to engage. We truly need to get our own oxygen mask on before we can help others and it’s taken years. 💕 keep going ladies, your abuser would like nothing better than to see you fail so don’t give them the satisfaction x

Wants To Help
      Participant

Hi KIP,

It’s so nice to read that you have had contact with your son after all of this time. I really hope that you are able to rebuild a great relationship and that now he’s an adult he can finally see things from his own angle and will give you the respect that you deserve for doing what you had to do.

I always feel so sad for the children who are lied to and poisoned. The truth is, they are only children for a certain percentage of their lives and can only be lied to and controlled for a number of years. As they become older and wiser and independent and search for their own truth, they finally see what has been done to them over the years and will make up their own minds which parent was doing their best to protect them.

Wishing you some lovely times together going forward x

KIP.
      Participant

Thank you so much. Domestic abuse robs us of so much. So much rebuilding to do and the longer we stay the more of us is destroyed. He seems happy. He could do with some mummy love and attention I’m hoping to just be there for him. His father unfortunately still plays a controlling role in his employment so we shall see if there is backlash but it’s out of my control. I won’t be communicating anything to my ex and I hope my son doesn’t either. Onwards and upwards 💕

Lifebegins
      Participant

What a lovely piece of news to share KIP. I’m really happy for you. They’re never to big for mummy love and affection. 🤗

Kids are a very hard area to navigate when leaving abusers I’ve found. They are torn with loving both parents and if they’ve been shielded in the main from the physical abuse and don’t understand the complexities of emotional abuse or controlling behaviour, then they can blame the abused not the abuser who is lying to them and manipulating them.

But maybe deep down they know. I’m hopeful.

As you say onwards and upwards for you. Well deserved ❤️ X*x

KIP.
      Participant

He definitely blamed me, he was aggressive and quite cruel. He was taken in by his abusive father. Used by his abusive father and still is but he’s older and wiser now. I think he’s realised as you say just who the abuser was and is but he hasn’t been able to break free. But it’s complicated with him, what son wants to believe their father is a rapist. I lived in denial for years so I suppose he will do so too.

Watersprite
      Participant

Hi Kip so very pleased that you have some reconciliation and progress. Healing really does take time doesn’t it and there are so many stings in the tail of abuse. But so happy for you both to be able to slowly rebuild x

gettingtired
      Participant

Very happy for you 🧡 x

iliketea
      Participant

Thanks @KIP. I’m really happy for you, to read this and to learn that it’s ok to take time and do this journey in your own time. 💕 you’re an inspiration.

hi kip i am so happy for you your such a strong woman <3 your truly an inspiration!

KIP.
      Participant

🙏 Thank you for your kind words. It’s taken so much strength to build myself back up but if I can do it, then anyone can. Power to you x and good riddance to bad rubbish x

Kitkat44
      Participant

This is lovely news @kip my heart did a happy dance for you and for your son.
      Xx

KIP.
      Participant

💕

Eggshells
      Participant

Fantastic KIP. I’m so pleased to hear your news. I know this has been something that has, understandably, caused you a great deal of pain. How wonderful to have him back in your life. xx

KIP.
      Participant

Hey thank you. I’m definitely taking things very slowly. I’m still unsure of motives and am keeping my guard up but it was nice just to reconnect. No pressure on either side x

KIP.
      Participant

Thank you for the reminder. My abuser is still very much in control of my adult son and therefore still has the power to punish us both so I’m treading very carefully but I’m not the victim I once was x

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content