Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Woollymammal
      Participant

Hi all , trying to get on here is almost impossible lately, he sits so close to me all the time to see who I’m texting, and what I’m doing on my phone..So I give up most of the time.. if he’s on his phone he goes up the corner of the sofa…
      I’m trying to look for social housing but finding it hard as the areas are not in nice places
      Will I ever get anywhere? It’s harder now as I am realizing everything he’s doing and it’s getting worse financially..
      I’m trying to be as normal as I can but they pick up on any little change..My health is deteriating.
      When I’m out and in a frame of mind to do so, I’m goung to try and get somewhere to have some kennels for those who have animals like me and can’t leave without them..
      Also to look into getting the support for when your out and feel so many emotions and feel so alone..
      There’s some who work so hard to help us, but it still needs so much to help being in abusive relationships..
      He’s at work now and it’s so peacefully..
      I just did the ironing and I keep remembering things..Like where’s all the clothes I had, gone, I think he’s got rid of them..
      I’m hoping that all who’ve managed to leave are coping and those like me and keeping as safe as they can..
      Hugs to you all
      X*x

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi Woollymammal, I eventually let WA put me into one of their flats, my name is on social housing but fir now I’m in ‘refuge’, it should increase my chances of a place. I felt my situation wasn’t bad enough to warrant refuge, but it’s not all communal living, just depends on the area you live in. I’m lucky, in that the council area I come under is one of the largest in our country for refuge. Keep imagining yourself out, keep making plans, having dreams. It’s what keeps us going.
      Best wishes IWMB 💞💞

fizzylem
      Participant

Good to hear you’re chipping away at your plans. Love the idea of having a safe house for pets! It’s made me think that if I ever have a spare room I could offer it to women as a safe place maybe? A stepping stone. We’ll see. I think that sometimes in life folk need refuge, not just when experiencing abuse; a break, space, a sanctuary, a place to convelecse – to let go of all responsibilties and to feel cared for.

I will never take for granted my home again when I get one again. I’m never going to give it up for a man or move one in either.

I feel the same fizlem about the ‘man moving in’ thing…

I can’t remember where I read it, but the law has changed recently with social housing and domestic abuse. It isn’t a proposal, it has gone through I understand…worth reading up on it, sorry can’t remember where I read it…

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Lovely idea for a pet refuge, that’s great.

Some of the changes that came in last November were that local authorities were to waive the residency rights for people who’ve escaped abuse and need to move elsewhere to get away from their abuser, or to be closer to family/support network.

Also that they must give the same points to those that are in a refuge as they do to homeless persons.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

‘Waive residency rights’?
      ..’points as for homeless’?

Have women lost the right to housing and to be treated as homeless (as they are).

As PM just announced secure housing for DA survivors within every council.

EbonyRaven
      Participant

Local authorities can now give more points toward getting up the queue for a home for dv survivors whose primary residence was in another LA area.

They honestly did used to give less points to people in a refuge, as they considered them to be in accommodation. Now they get to be considered on the same level for housing, with the same urgency.

That’s what I meant. Sorry if it wasn’t clear.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I have no idea how you access it, but the RSPCA run a program for fostering the pets of dv victims.

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Ah, thanks for that explanation Ebonyraven.

Yes, that make sense. Change for the good is always encoury to hear, and that there is commitment to provide secure housing.

The scheme for pets by the RSPCA is Pet Retreat.

Ive tried to access and been completely ignored.

I hope you do better.

Woollymammal
      Participant

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies, IWMB, I’m so pleased you’ve got away and are now somewhere safe..Hoping you get your own home soon..
      I tried rspca myself when I left 1st time, they too ignored me..Apparently they are full, but they could of let me know that.. Rspca put our animals in foster care and I wouldn’t be happy with that..
      Do the authorities not realise how our animals are so special to us, they’ve showed me with live even though they’ve suffered too..
      My dog was so scared when he shouted at her the other day, that she was crawling on the floor..
      At the moment he’s all loving again….tgats When my brain gets confused..
      I’m waiting for social housing as it takes 6 weeks once you’ve applied..I’m on a private housing at the moment .I looked online at 1 property and there were 446 in front of me..
      I try and picture myself in a warm looking flat, with a book, and my dogs curled up next to me, all safe together..
      The process is progressing for DV victims, but it’s too slow..
      Hugs to you all
      X*x

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content