Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi, I’m newish here…. I’ve read quite a few posts (helpful and encouraging), but this is my first contribution. A few years ago I escaped from a long-term abusive partner. I knew that I’d face many challenges in the aftermath of walking out on him, but the sheer euphoria I felt at finally being away from him was incredible and I’ll never forget it! At the time, this track and video seemed to sum-up for me the feeling that this moment was the start of a whole new life. It’s ‘I’m Free’ by The Soup Dragons, video by Joseph Richards.

Darcy
      Participant

Hi beautiful Angel… the worm that turned,
      I love your user name!
      Welcome to the forum and well done for leaving.
      I love your post, and choice of song.
      I can feel the empowerment from you as I read it.
      Keep posting and stay connected, I am glad you are finding being here helpful and encouraging.
      Sending you continued love and support
      Darcy xx

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hello the worm that turned,

Thank you for your first contribution to the forum! I’m glad that you have found it helpful and encouraging to be here.

Congratulations for leaving an abusive situation, it takes a lot of strength to do so and it sounds like you’ve come a long way.

Have you managed to access support in coping with the aftermath of the relationship? If you want to reach out to your local DV service, you can find them here: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Take care and keep posting,

Lisa
      Forum Moderator

Thank you Lisa and Darcy for your comments. I hadn’t realised what a difference it makes to hear responses from others but that’s amazing, thanks!
      As mentioned, I left my abuser after many years together, and finally regaining my freedom felt incredible. I think I spent the next few years running on adrenaline just to overcome all sorts of challenges, to completely rebuild my life, but I did it. I’d previously been so absolutely crushed, was told on a daily basis that I was ‘useless’, so my message to others when you’re at your lowest is that you’re actually so much stronger than you think!
      In answer to Lisa (and thank you for asking), yes I have now received professional support which has been amazing. I would have reached out for this sooner had I known what was available, but thanks to womensaid, other organisations and more coverage in the media, there is now increased awareness of what sort of help is out there.
      So, to anyone who is in a relationship that makes you distressed or fearful, I would say you do not deserve this, you can resolve this. Take the first step and ask for help.

soxy
      Participant

Hello the worm that turned – I’m currently listening to your song and I love it! I also appreciate your post, I’m on the verge of going and to read this is so encouraging! To hear people like you who have come out the other side is much needed. Thanks again for sharing 🙂 xx

Hi soxy, I’m glad you like the song! A friend of mine made me a whole playlist when I got out…maybe I’ll post it here sometime. Sending love and strength to you as you work towards leaving for your new life. My advice at this stage would be to get as much advice and support as you can from appropriate agencies and of course, stay safe xx

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content