• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lisa.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Cornflower123
      Participant

Hello everybody! I’m planning to leave my partner and wanted to ask for some advice about refuge. I am working at the moment and therefore I understand I would need to pay to stay at the refuge. Does anybody know what the costs are? I’ve also got a very young child who attends a nursery. How did you go about leaving your abuser and your work and nursery/school? He would definitely come after me at work and I’m scared he would take our child from the nursery. But if I don’t go to work, I won’t get paid and won’t be able to pay for the place at the refuge. I really don’t know what to do.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Cornflower123,

It’s hard to give specific figures for refuge accommodation costs, but some women find that refuge costs can be slightly higher compared to regular rental prices as the costs cover the support received in the refuge such as case worker support and so on. Refuges are usually independently run, either as charities or local authority (council run) services, so the costs can really vary.

Refuge is usually paid for by housing benefit, so what many women choose to do is to temporarily leave employment in order to be in receipt of benefits to cover the cost of the refuge. This is something that is discussed as and when the survivor is offered a place at the refuge, and is something that a refuge worker can talk through with you.

If you would like more information about refuge costs or general information about procedures and policies, you could contact your local domestic abuse support service and they will likely be able to advise. You can find your local service using this directory: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

I hope that’s helpful.

Take care and keep posting,
      Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content