Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      WalkerInTheRain
      Participant

For the ladies that have experienced refuge, was there anything that made your stay easier or items that you needed but didn’t have immediately?
      I was fortunate that I could move in with family (even that was chaotic enough to start with) but I was shocked by some of the stories from my Freedom Program group about how little some people went into refuge with.

I’m trying to give a little back but, apart from cold hard cash, I’m not sure what would be useful.
      I’d be grateful for any ideas.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Walkerintherain,

Thank you for your kind idea. Please phone your local refuge to find out what they might be short on. I know that toiletries, towels, bed linen and children’s toys can often be helpful but each refuge may well be different.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi Walkerintherain

i think many must leave with very little and some nothing and others quite a lot with planning and help.

Maybe each Refuge is different in what it supplies? i think a new food pack, containing the basics to get you through the first few days is usual, and basic toiletry supplies.

It was a lovely surprise to find a perfume tester in the bathroom cabinet (intended or not)! Not something you would consider under those circumstances of leaving but such a lovely treat, the same with nail varnish… funny the things that you remember!

It was great joy for me when i got a dressing gown, part of my comfort zone routine of soaking in bath and curling up on sofa in snugly dressing gown. That there were bath and shower products was a part of that noticing things a little over the absolute basics that make you feel a bit thought about and considered, as soap is good enough you know, but I really felt those little extras made such a big difference to us.

I especially felt for any girls/women pregnant and expecting during their time there without any clothes etc for their babies, although the Refuge were very good at sourcing the things needed so i wholeheartedly back what Lisa has said about contacting locally to see what their needs are.

Maybe its helpful to have feedback from the receiving end? idk

so kind to consider those in Refuge I know funding is getting lower all the time and they are reliant upon donations.

warmest wishes KS x

Englishgirl
      Participant

I’ve been packing unpacking all day today in order to hopefully leave today. Can I request refuge in another city

Copperflame
      Participant

When I arrived at refuge, I was thrilled to find a box of luxury toiletries on my bed which someone must have donated. Where I was we used to get loads of donations of clothes, bedding towels, household items and toiletries. I never had to buy a single toiletry the entire time I was in there! We had a cupboard containing food basics, such as pasta, tea, coffee, baked beans, long life milk etc, to which we could help ourselves if short of money.

Some women arrive at refuge with only the clothes they are wearing but there are usually spare clothes available for them. When I knew I was leaving, I packed stuff in bin bags and hid them in the back of the wardrobe! The day before while he was at work I put as much as I could into the boot of my car, so that not long after he’d left for work the following morning I was on my way.

Refuges are always grateful for donations so if you have something to give it will always be gratefully received.xx

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content