Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Anon123
      Participant

Last night I was driving in the dark with the children on the motorway when a motorbike kept looking at us -it was quiet and he was even driving on the hard shoulder. He kept signalling for me to pull over and putting his hazards on and pointing at the car (which is old )
      I thought perhaps something was wrong with the tyres but something stopped me from pulling over and stopping till the services. Even then I went the wrong way through the petrol station.
      Nothing at all wrong with anything on the car and tyre pressure was spot on.
      I still feel so sick and even whilst it was happening and after I was sooo scared and sweating, gutted I didn’t get his registration.
      Realised how bad the situation could have been especially as no one would have noticed if the children and I were not at home.
      So do remember not to pull over on the motorway at night especially if you’re being signalled to do so and you can’t tell why. If you break down and have too and ensure you lock the doors.
      I feel like I’ve taken such a big knock.

Thanks for letting us know Anon123, i think this is a great example of following your gut instinct. You just know something isn’t right. A number of times i have completely ignored my gut instinct, its not a habit I will develop. Pleased you all got home safely. X*X

Falling Skys
      Participant

Thank you for highlighting this and that it work out well for you.

A couple of years ago when I finished work (not late) as I was waiting to go onto the round about a man open the passenger door and tried to get in. He offer me money to take him home… As luck would have it there was lots of stuff on the seat and he couldn’t get it. I did start locking my doors when driving, but have become complacent I will start doing it again.

FS xx

Serenity
      Participant

Thanks for reminding us of the risks, Anon.

I love tootling about in my car, but I am always very wary, since a taxi driver tried to lock me in his car and drive off with me. Though this happened abroad, I am always wary of safety when driving. You’ve reminded me how important it is to cover yourself when out on the road. X

Ayanna
      Participant

I am so glad you listened to your sixth sense and ignored that guy.

Tuppance
      Participant

This is a really important thing to highlight and also there are bad people that use fake police lights. If you see blue lights DO NOT think you HAVE to pull over straight away. The police will follow you to where ever you CHOOSE to stop and completely understand the vulnerability of lone female drivers and with kids. When you stop, ensure all your doors are locked – it is good also to make sure your boot is always locked whenever you set off as this is an easy access point to get into cars. Lock your doors and open the window just a tiny fraction so that you can talk. Always do this is a busy area, preferably a petrol station or somewhere well lit with cctv ( 24/7 supermarket etc. You can also call the police and let them know you have been pulled over and you are concerned – they won’t mind and will stay on the line until they know you are ok.I have been told this by the police. Xx

Anon123
      Participant

Thankyou for all the support. I didn’t know about fake blue lights or not having to pull over immediately. Thank you so much for this.
      Xx

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content