Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Gettingoutforgood
      Participant

Not sure how other people are finding this but sometimes things move incredibly slowly. While you’re waiting for legal aid to take out a non mol order he’s Changing his behaviour so by the time you get into court it will be a few weeks since the last incident-this means you can’t get into court ASAP.

Also there is a gap between getting info online then community services and maybe early education. Women are still not told what the early signs are or how soon you should report the first incident.

At the moment I am seeing multiple unnecessary barriers to support because for some reason the people who could be the most support in services always seem to be in denial of the existence of criminals who target women, con them into relationships and who end up defrauding them, making them dependent, and all the other forms of coercion.

Until the idealism that many people working in services have about all families and the concept of fdmily life many more women, our children and some men will find ourselves unable to get away from the perpetrators.

Domestic abuse must cost a fortune in homelessness, benefits, careers, health and disability and trauma for those of us who suffer and yet common as it is it is still a taboo to talk about this as if the honour of the abuser should be protected. Until the true costs to society are acknowledged then this will never be taken seriously.

Even I used to wonder why don’t these women leave and then today years later someone asked me the same question. They could not perceive that a person could become so financially ruined by a ex partner that they would not be able to leave.

There needs to be more support with 1 in 4 women experiencing this and our families.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content