Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      queenmaeve
      Participant

My ex had a habit of trying to show me up in public by shouting at me and putting me down. Of course, this was met with dirty looks from strangers etc. But I was wondering if this is common?

HunkyDory
      Participant

Hi qm it wasn’t frequent but occasionally I was shouted at and humiliated in public. It’s horrible, makes you feel so small, and retaliating wasn’t an option- just wanted it to stop x

fizzylem
      Participant

I dont think the dirty looks were at you – they were for him! It’s dreadful when this happens and the reaction from folk is shock. He called me the c word once as he was going out the door – to slam it behind him – only he came face to face with a woman on the street just after the words left his mouth; can laugh now, talk about rumbled, but at the time I was really embarrassed, she jumped out of her skin and scuttled away hurriedly – bet that went round the village like wild fire!

In the same vein, I dont like it when I see kids shouted at or sworn at by a parent; although rather than judge I try to engage and empathise with the mother, then I try to make the child giggle to get past it / feel better. It does diffuse it, it’s never ended badly on the occassions this has happened. It seems to release the tension in the parent.

If we show compassion chances are the parent (or whoever you have shown compassion to) will also then go on to be compassionate x

KIP.
      Participant

Yes, it’s designed to take away your self confidence and self esteem. Eventually I gave up going out which is what he wanted. Me stuck at home while he did whatever he wanted. Destroying my mental health. He was drunk on one occasion but it was the not knowing when the next outburst would come that causes great anxiety so the walking on eggshells feeling hangs over us x

Anonymous
      Inactive

My ex didn’t care who was around when he shouted at me. Well, I say shouted… Actually, he would scream.

MeOnScreen
      Participant

100% my ex shouted at me numerous times in the past, to the point were strangers would actually tell me to come home with them rather then him.
      I face thinking back this was probably one of the first signs I got that he was emotionally abusive.
      Shouting at you, making it so public makes you feel even more as if you are the issue and that you have done something wrong not him.
      Please please remember that this behaviour is not okay.

smallbutbrave
      Participant

my partner once said to me on the checkout of out local supermarket to ‘shut the f*ck up or i will punch you in the face’ people must have heard and seen the look of venom on his face…All because he thought i said something to him in a c****y way which for the life of me i can not think what the hell it was i was suppsed to have said. When we got back in the car i questioned him why he said and acted like that and he went mental at me ince again

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content