Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Potkettle
      Participant

I dont know where to start. I cant really start because I just cant think.
      I have had some help on the phone. They want me to write it down, all of it. I just dont know how. My mind just jumps and then I cry.
      I know I need to organise it but I just cant
      Is there some way to start?
      Thank u xx

nbumblebee
      Participant

Sit. Take a deep breath close your eyes for a minute or two and just breethe then when you are ready write get it all out its not easy and it will hurt like hell but once you are done walk away breeth again and rest.
      Xx

Scarecrow
      Participant

Hi Potkettle,

I have been in your shoes, it is almost like a fog that comes over you and stops you from being able to think clearly. I think that it is a form of mental defence mechanism – your brain protecting you from remembering things that are going to hurt you.

I totally echo what has been said above,take a breath, take your time and start. Would typing it be easier than writing it with pen and paper? Would voice notes be a place to start so you can get the words out and transfer them to paper at a later date?

I know how hard this is, but it really is something that will help you. You may even find that once you get the first thing down you will remember more. Starting is the hardest part.

Stay strong – you can do this

Hugs

Scarecrow

Bananaboat
      Participant

You don’t have to do it all at once. Have a notepad or your phone handy so you can pick up / put down as the memories come. It’s not an exam, there’s no pressure xx

Eggshells
      Participant

It can sometimes help to write it as a letter to him. You don’t ever send the letter but it can help to get it out.

Ask questions “Why did you do that?” Make statements “You hurt me.” Tell him how you feel “I hate the part of you that thought it was OK to do that to me.”

Just let it tumble out in any old order. xx

Lottieblue
      Participant

When I started writing things down, I opened a special email account and sent myself emails. I started with things as they happened and how I was feeling, and I found this very quickly led to my remembering things from the near and distant past.
      One thing I discovered though was that I had to record things as they happened (I’d nip to the loo with my phone) otherwise it would all just become one blur as it went on and on and by the end of the day I couldn’t separate any of it out.

Potkettle
      Participant

Thank you all.
      I’m trying honestly. x

Hazydayz
        Participant

Youve been given some great support good advice, but you will do it your way in the end, in your own time and that’s how it is!. Don’t worry! If you want? here’s Just a little more help for you if it helps? Firstly, It’s ok! To ask for help. And…try not to worry, thats easier said! I know! But, in time you’ll hopefully see…with a little time for yourself if you can find the space? And some peace to allow you to think…? You’ll get there! To that time, when thoughts can become written words! When your able to in your own way? In your own time?sort things and see things more clearly. Your not alone with this. A lot of us here are on that same
        Journey of discovery. A lot have reached their conclusions and kindly offer their wisdom to help and support
        Good luck sweetie on finding your way? 💞

Anonymous
      Inactive

Is this something you have to do potkettle? as in a statement? If not there are no rules to say you have to write things down, it it’s something you feel you want to do to remind yourself what you’ve been through/how far you’ve come or as a reminder of gaslighting and abuse as facts so to not allow your ex back in your life again then that’s a really good idea, I’ve been writing things down also and yes it brings a lot of tears to the surface so I do mine bit by bit (I only found this post now, I’ve no idea why I didn’t see it earlier?) 🤗💖🤗

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hey Potkettle, I wanted to add…. when I went to write stuff down I also couldn’t as my mind would race… A DA support worker suggested that I write down the first incident I remember, The worst incident I remember and the last incident that I remembered.
      Do everything at your own pace ❤

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content