Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Lightning-Jet
      Participant

I have started on the Freedom programme, which I know is going to benefit me immensely, I have also downloaded Pat Craven’s book – Living with the Dominator which I intend on reading.
      I also have one2one sessions with a support worker, all steps in the right direction and positive steps to getting my abuser out of my life and moving forward with my life.
      It’s not easy, I even have felt guilty about going behind my abusers back. But I realise that I actually have nothing to feel guilty about. I haven’t caused any of this, there is no excuse for the behaviour, he won’t change & I know that & I have accepted that. This has been a long time coming, but now that I have accepted the situation I am in, I can move forward and get my life back.

Come on ladies, we can do this!

backtome
      Participant

Love this Lightning-Jet, stay strong and you have no need to feel guilty. Can I ask how you go about getting a support worker? Do you get that through women’s aid or your GP etc? Obviously if you’d rather not say don’t feel you have to. x

Lightning-Jet
      Participant

Hi backtome,

Thank you, I know it will be a long road to get back on track, but it’s a road I need to travel. The guilt feelings I’m sure is partially down to the years of abuse I have suffered, the manipulative ways of the abuser oddly makes you feel like the guilty one.

There are numerous ways you can find local support, you can call the national line, they have the local support information and phone numbers, you can check on your local councils website for domestic abuse support and if you wish you can also visit your GP.

I found mine through my local council website and I am so pleased that I did.

I hope you find the local support you need, its the best thing I’ve done xx

lover of no contact
      Participant

Gosh well done Lighting-jet you are taking the action. Small steps all add up. We’d never eat an elephant in one day but day by day one bite at a time.

Day by day small actions taken with a view to leaving the abusive relationship will work.

Lightning-Jet
        Participant

Thank you Loverofnocontact, I think the programme is going to be great for me and the help from my support worker will be invaluable.

Exactly, little steps in the right direction will get me where I want to be. I know it will take time and I also know it will be worth it in the end!

I am feeling much more positive about my outlook. I know there is a better life out there for me!

lover of no contact
      Participant

I found decluttering helped me too. divide possessions into clothes, books, paperwork and kimono (ornaments, bits n’ pieces) and photographs. Google Marie Kondo and ‘the life-changing magic of tidying up’. Her method says let go of anything that doesn’t inspire joy (abuser top of the list! lol).

Learned helplessness is a natural response to being abused that’s why any action at all pertaining to a plan to end abusive relationship is good. So all the actions you have taken plus decluttering and posting on here are all worthwhile and powerful actions.

Lightning-Jet
        Participant

Oh yes, I have downloaded one of the books and have a hard copy of the book Spark Joy, I am starting to go through my belongings now. Trying to get all my clothes together and go through them. I have already got a couple of bags to go to a carboot sale.

I will get there, I am fed up of every day ending up the same. Its time to regain control and take my life back!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content