Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kunmeg
      Participant

I’m currently in a relationship and we bought a house (detail removed by moderator) with a 50/50 shared mortgage.
      I need to get out of this relationship (and therefore house) for my mental wellbeing.
      I have a dog so finding somewhere to rent is proving very difficult for me at the moment.
      I currently have savings of around £(detail removed by moderator).
      I have a full time job but only get about £(detail removed by moderator) per year.
      Will I be able to get a mortgage on my own?
      I’m really struggling and just would like some advice. I just need to get out ASAP

KIP.
      Participant

I think you should speak to a solicitor first. Most offer free initial advice. In my case I bought my ex out of his share of the property. Or he could buy your share if he can afford the whole mortgage himself. If neither of you can afford the mortgage alone then usually the house is sold and any equity shared. Some charities will look after your dog until you find suitable accommodation or rehome your pet. I think the Dogs Trust have volunteers to assist victims of domestic abuse with fostering their pets. And there are charities. Your local women’s aid can help you with good advice. Getting a mortgage on your own depends on your income and employment etc. You really need to get your name off the joint mortgage. There are helplines out there maybe Shelter could help. The helpline on here might have more information.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content