Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Blondie123
      Participant

I finally left my ex a few months ago. After he hit me and left bruises on my face. I’m now currently seeing someone new (we are taking it very slowly) and I’m really struggling to get over what my ex did to me. I know from the way this new guy is with me that he is nothing like him but there is always doubt in the back of my head that he’ll do something and I still flinch when he moves a bit too quickly. Will I ever get over it?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Blondie123,

Sorry to hear about what you’re experiencing at the moment. It’s absolutely normal to be feeling like this after an abusive relationship; the healing process can take time so please be kind to yourself.

Have you had any support from your GP? They may be able to refer you for some counselling to help you overcome some of the trauma you’ve been through. Your local domestic abuse service may also be able to offer you some emotional support/ counselling/ support groups. You can have a look for your local service here: https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

I’m glad that you’ve reached out on the Forum; please do keep posting to let us know how you are.

Lisa,
      Forum Moderator

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content