Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

I wrote a few weeks ago how my ex had refused to sign a lower monthly repayment scheme, so ( while he’s paying me next to zero child support) I would have to pay a good few hundred more each month off my mortgage than necessary ( the house is now mine, but he’s not off the mortgage yet as I am not yet earning enough).

I was horrified. That directly impacts his children.

I wrote off to the CEO of the mortgage company, relating the whole domestic abuse situation and my ex’s financial greed and cruelty in trying to make the kids and I destitute.

I said how they had a responsibility to protect women and children from such abuse, and how the media is buzzing lately with how banks etc need to be more aware of domestic abuse.

Well, I received a letter saying that they will go over my ex’s head and agree to halve my repayment on a new scheme!

Plus, they have offered me £*00 by way of an apology for my upset, hoping that the money ‘restores my confidence in them’!

Fight for your rights, ladies! Speak up and go straight to the top! It’s worth fighting!

My ex will be seething. Idiot that he is!

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

This is brilliant news Serenity, well done and congratulations, it is so great when our efforts pay off like this. I bet the look on his face will be priceless when he realises it. It’s also extremely positive that the bank acknowledged the role of domestic abuse in this situation because I am still agast at how backwards society seems to be letting these men get away with so much while we have to pick up the shattered pieces of our lives with so little understanding or support from society. This is a step in the right direction and you may well have helped other women as now this bank will be familiar with this situation and will know what to look out for in future.

KIP.
      Participant

Yayyyy. Keep speaking up. Hopefully they will be aware for the next poor woman trapped by an abusive ex. How fab. Enjoy spending! How about speaking to the papers? Let other women know they should fight for what they’re entitled to. Huge congratulations 👏👏👏👏

Ayanna
      Participant

Wonderful!
      I am so happy for you!

lover of no contact
      Participant

Well done serenity. You took the action. And it will inspire us to speak up and speak out where we can. Another example how there is always hope for our situations to improve, financial and otherwise.

Hopesprings
      Participant

That’s great! Well done you x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content